Ceder Shingling with a nailer

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK all,

I have a Bostitich RN46-1 and I want to know if I can ceder shingle with it?? I have always shingled by hand but know that I have a nail gun I want to speed thigs up on my projects. Any help would be great. Thanks ahead. Don

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
I have a Bostitich RN46-1 and I want to know if I can ceder shingle with it?? I have always shingled by hand but know that I have a nail gun I want to speed thigs up on my projects. Any help would be great. Thanks ahead. Don
I had to look up that Bostich model because I've never used it. I shingled a barn that I remodled into a studio/shop on my place. Lots of cedar shingles! I used a compressor-driven pneumatic stapler.
4407_barn_1.jpg

The staples I used were probably always 3/4 to 1 inch long. The building was sheathed with plywood that was anywhere from 5/8" to 3/4" (I had used what I had around the place in order to sheath it).

Looks like the Bostich you have cannot shoot staples. So, if you use the Bostitich RN46-1, you'd probably want to use 3/4 to 1 inch nails, probably no longer. Seems like the RN46-1 can use ones of that length.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
THEFAN said:
I had to look up that Bostich model because I've never used it. I shingled a barn that I remodled into a studio/shop on my place. Lots of cedar shingles! I used a compressor-driven pneumatic stapler.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/4407_barn_1.jpg

The staples I used were probably always 3/4 to 1 inch long. The building was sheathed with plywood that was anywhere from 5/8" to 3/4" (I had used what I had around the place in order to sheath it).

Looks like the Bostich you have cannot shoot staples. So, if you use the Bostitich RN46-1, you'd probably want to use 3/4 to 1 inch nails, probably no longer. Seems like the RN46-1 can use ones of that length.
I thought of the stapler too but why buy something else when I have something that might do the job. I am going with 1 1/4 coil nails for sure 7/8 boarding boards plus 1/2 inch shingle thickless with a 5 inch face showing. Some people say I can us the bostitch and some people say I can't . Hmm Thanks for the reply

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
I thought of the stapler too but why buy something else when I have something that might do the job. I am going with 1 1/4 coil nails for sure 7/8 boarding boards plus 1/2 inch shingle thickless with a 5 inch face showing. Some people say I can us the bostitch and some people say I can't . Hmm Thanks for the reply
Hmmm... I'm not sure what sort of shingles you're going to use. Remember that you have to fasten (nail, or staple) the shingles up above the "exposure" portion of the shingle - that's where, with a taper-sawn shingle, you're into the thinner part. When I was shingling, that portion was never much more than 1/4" thick, and sometimes closer to 1/8" thick.

I'd still think about using 1-inch nails, but of course you gotta use your own judgement.

Happy shingling. It's a time-consuming job, but looks nice in the end and sheds water well, if that's also a consideration.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You can keep the snow! (But, I still like the barn.)

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You should be fine with the 1-1/4" coils since you can always dial down the force of the piston. If you need further reassurance, you could always do a test run on some scrapwood while you're still on the ground. :D

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BrandedX said:
You should be fine with the 1-1/4" coils since you can always dial down the force of the piston. If you need further reassurance, you could always do a test run on some scrapwood while you're still on the ground. :D
Thank you I will do a dry run this weekend. God sometimes is funny. After posting this I just got asked to ceder shingle a shed next week. :)
Now I have a real reason to get this buggha up and running. Life is like that. Thank you God and all that have replied. :weee