CFL bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hubby and I were in Dollar Tree yesterday. They have 14W (comparable to a 60W bulb) 2 for $1.00. They look more like a "normal" bulb. We got a couple to try them out. At first, I didn't think to much of them. I put one in a pole lamp I have and turned it on. It was really dim. But, it warmed up, and was fine.

I'll probably get a few more. We've been replacing all of our regular bulbs w/the CFLs as they blow out. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a few spares on hand since these will die as well.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CFLs seem to have pretty variable quality. I don't know if I'd buy them from the General. I was reading about LEED or some-such certification and I guess it's been lacking in lighting. Same for LED lighting. Or so I read.

Paul Wheaton goes on and on about CFLs. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. As a scientist I have to approve of anyone who makes measurements and explains their methods. Even if you don't agree with the conclusion, it's an interesting read.

http://www.richsoil.com/CFL-fluorescent-light-bulbs.jsp

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, did you write the date on the base of the bulb? I always do that now. When we first got CFLs one burned out and it pissed me off. Then I started dating them. It still feels like they fail overnight but usually it turns out that it's been years.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
CFLs seem to have pretty variable quality. I don't know if I'd buy them from the General. I was reading about LEED or some-such certification and I guess it's been lacking in lighting. Same for LED lighting. Or so I read.

Paul Wheaton goes on and on about CFLs. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. As a scientist I have to approve of anyone who makes measurements and explains their methods. Even if you don't agree with the conclusion, it's an interesting read.

The trouble with Wheaton is that he does not test, he calculates! If one of his quoted tests turns out to be wrong the whole mess falls like a house of cards. He also assumes that there have been no advances in tech since CFLs were first introduced. Yep ther is some truth in his pile of BS but please don't call what he writes Science. I call it junk science.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"Edison-style" LED bulbs are coming down in terms of price-for-features. The description "Edison-style" means screw-base bulbs that will fit the standard, common-type home lamp and ceiling fixtures that use 40w, 60w, or 100w incandescent bulbs. Equivalent brightness (and color temperature) LED bulbs for the most commonly used incandescents are on the market. Compared with incands, they generally require about 20% of the wattage to produce the equivalent illumination. In theory, they'll last 25 years.

Right now you can pay $12-15 at big box stores for LED bulbs that are the equivalent of 40 or 60 watt incand. I've spoken with, or conversed on web forums with, people who have spent far more time researching and using these than I have. Everyone I've asked about it says it's a fast-growing and competitive marketplace, and the prices will go lower within the next year.

Personally, I do not like the quality of any fluorescent (including CFL) light, even when it's full-spectrum or "warm" color tone. But this is an individual matter.

The key thing with the LEDs, in my mind, is the warranty. If it's money-back or replacement five years or more, it may be worth the investment... and, too, that's if the manufacturer and the retail outlet have earned a good rep for standing behind the written warranty.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread wasn't to discuss the pros and cons of different types of lighting, but just to let people know that they could get the bulbs for cheap.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
k15n1 said:

The trouble with Wheaton is that he does not test, he calculates! If one of his quoted tests turns out to be wrong the whole mess falls like a house of cards. He also assumes that there have been no advances in tech since CFLs were first introduced. Yep ther is some truth in his pile of BS but please don't call what he writes Science. I call it junk science.
Measurements and calculations are fine by me if they are disclosed. And criticism and arrogance are part of science, too. Otherwise, no one would ever repeat and experiment!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
The purpose of this thread wasn't to discuss the pros and cons of different types of lighting, but just to let people know that they could get the bulbs for cheap.
Right. I'm just saying that not all CFLs are the same. The variation in quality is supposedly the reason that most of the CFL and LED bulbs don't have LEEDS and energy star certification. The super cheap one might not be the best.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Denim Deb said:
Right. I'm just saying that not all CFLs are the same. The variation in quality is supposedly the reason that most of the CFL and LED bulbs don't have LEEDS and energy star certification. The super cheap one might not be the best.
You do know that "Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)" certifies the design of buildings, not minor items used in those buildings? Energy star does cover those items "Energy Star qualified fluorescent lighting uses 75% less energy and lasts up to ten times longer than normal incandescent lights." Wikipedia The listof requirements for LEDs covers about half a page see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Star#Lighting for details. I do agree that cheap are not often the best. most rational people won't spend more to buy an inferior product..~gd

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
~gd said:
k15n1 said:
Denim Deb said:
You do know that "Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)" certifies the design of buildings, not minor items used in those buildings? Energy star does cover those items "Energy Star qualified fluorescent lighting uses 75% less energy and lasts up to ten times longer than normal incandescent lights." Wikipedia The listof requirements for LEDs covers about half a page see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Star#Lighting for details. I do agree that cheap are not often the best. most rational people won't spend more to buy an inferior product..~gd
LEED certification is gained on a point system. "Specified" items earn points. The construction industry uses a contract document called "specifications" which accompanies plans (blueprints). The document is enormous and lists the qualities of every component of the building and the outcome. It's not going to say "CFL bulb". It will have a section devoted to the description and performance of the bulb. Building materials, fixtures, and finishes are not created equal. Engineers and Architects with LEED training chose and specify items to earn points towards the building's LEED certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.