ChairLoc & similar products for tool handles?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've had reasonable success applying ChairLoc to wooden tool handles, to swell the wood in an axe, hammer, hatchet, etc. I think this is probably a type of product sold under various names in different regions. No matter whether it's a wooden chair or a tool, it acts the same: it seeps into the wood's fibers and swells them. In the case of an axe or something, it tightens the handle in the eye of the metal tool head.

In my experience, it does the job better than antifreeze, which some people recommend for the task ("soak your tool head and top of the handle in a bucket of antifreeze") - and which I have tried numerous times in the past. But I do find that the ChairLoc also eventually loses its influence on the wood, and the tool head gets loose again.

Anyone else used it? Is there a really excellent brand-name product along this line that you can recommend?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
I've had reasonable success applying ChairLok to wooden tool handles, to swell the wood in an axe, hammer, hatchet, etc. I think this is probably a type of product sold under various names in different regions. No matter whether it's a wooden chair or a tool, it acts the same: it seeps into the wood's fibers and swells them. In the case of an axe or something, it tightens the handle in the eye of the metal tool head.

In my experience, it does the job better than antifreeze, which some people recommend for the task (soak your tool head and top of the handle in antifreeze") - and which I have tried numerous times in the past.

But I do find that the ChairLok also eventually loses its influence on the wood, and the tool head gets loose again.

Anyone else used it? Is there a really excellent brand-name product along this line that you can recommend?
Chair-Lok is THE brand name for fixing loose joints in Chairs. For the loose axle handles you usually just tap in the wedge or wedges to tighten. I have never heard about using antifreeze now sdays there are 2 main types Ethylene glychol [toxic] and proplene glychol [safe] For tools like socket chistles I like to use PEG -XXX [the x stands for the number of repeat units in the polymer] PFG stands for PolyEthylene Glychol. In woodworking it is amoisture stabilizing agent for wood. Have you ever turned bowls out of wood that changed shape when they dried or gained moisture, or carvings that split? if the wood is soaked in a water PEG solution and allowed to dry the PEG will lock up and prevent thouse problems I use PEG-100 for everything though the experts advise that different numbers are better suited than others depending on the wood and the job "If it works don't mess with itit' In 20 years of wood working I have never had to reapply rhe product. ~gd