Changing my own brake pads... help?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I need to order in my brake pads for the rear brakes. I plan to do it myself, or if I have trouble, make the BF do it. What I wonder is, there are ceramic and partially metallic pads... what's the difference?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
What year make and model of vehicle do you drive? How many miles are on it? How do you USE the vehicle??
Help me to help you....
It makes one heck of a difference....

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's an '05 subaru baja sport. We drive it mostly on the roads. It gets a LOT of milage, but I'm unsure of the current milage on it (Andy took it to work).

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I asked my personal mechanic,..hubby. His opinion is go with the ceramic because the metallic brakes causes lots of dust and especially if you have aluminum wheels you don't want that. If you need step by step instructions,..let me know,..I will PM them to you. Back brakes are pretty simple. ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You might want to call a Subaru dealer ask what they recommend in the way of brake pads. Might even consider just getting them from the dealer.
Ceramic pads do not work well until they are warmed up a bit..... they are more of a performance pad.....and if you keep the wheels clean, the dust from metallic pads is a non-issue. As a matter of fact, 95% of the new vehicles come from the factory with metallic pads.
DO NOT buy a cheap set of pads! They will be a combination of organic and metallic. And trust me when I say you WON'T be happy with the performance OR the noise!

Also...do fall into the "lifetime warranty" trap. All they do is sell you the same pads, but they simply charge you more for them.

Oh.....one more bit of advise......DO NOT just toss a set new set of pads on your old rotors unless you have then machined. I HIGHLY recommend just installing new rotors when you install the pads. Brakes( and steering parts for that matter) are both safety items that you do NOT want to cut corners on.