Cheap mini heating pad

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know those rather pricey Thermo XXXX pads with the adhesive? The ones that are activated by air? The last time I bought one some years back, I paid $6 for it.

Last week, DH came home with a couple packages of hand warmers that someone gave him. He said they sell for about $1 at the store. Same stuff as the expensive stuff, but no fancy tape.

So here I sit with one taped to my shoulder. Feels pretty good and I can move around.

What are the other ones called??? Brain is only firing on two cylinders tonight.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can find hand warmers on sale for .50 cents or less sometimes. We stock up on them. They are great for picking up chicks to bring home.

We also keep some in each truck for emergency use in winter.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think the store bought ones are called Thermacare.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's right, Deb! I had to take the hand warmer off my shoulder after I went to bed, only because of the way that I sleep made it uncomfortable. I was surprised this morning when I picked it up to throw it away, it was still kind of warm. Those little things really work well.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a super idea. I love those stick on heat pads but who can afford them?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay this is another idea for a heating pad that works super and last for weeks, months, even years depending on the materials used.

The easiest way would be to put some dried beans/peas/or rice in a tube sock and knot or sew the end close.

1. I actually got a square of fabric about the size of a napkin and sewed down the side and across on end with the sewing machine.

2. Turn wrong side to the inside.

3. Fill with dried beans or rice. *Don't cook* .

4. Tuck in raw edge of the unsewn end and sew across.

Now whenever you need a heating pad put in the microwave a couple minutes (give or take a minute or two). It will be hot! You may need to wrap a towel around it until it cools a bit. This will stay warm at least 20 minutes. If you want a cold pack, then dampen and put in the freezer for a while.

I used mostly for a heating pad for my back. Sometimes on a cold night I would heat and put under my sheets to warm my feet.

My first one lasted for about 8 years before tearing open. I had mostly black-eyed peas in it with a little rice. It is really versatile and can be molder around knees or used for a earache. The one i have now is a sock but I plan on making some for the winter. I have made these for my grown kids at their request. It could make a thoughtful gift along with instructions.

Latest posts