Cheap refrigerator

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Very cheap to operate that is - After reading articles I have seen on the web I bought a conventional 5 cubic foot chest freezer for $160, a used one may have been cheaper but wanted the newest in insulation and compressor technology as they have been improved greatly over the last twenty years.

newfridge.jpg

I choose a 5 cubic foot model because I measured what I actually used in my regular fridge, why waste power on something you don't use especially when I will be running it from very expensive solar panels. Getting your butter from the bottom of a chest refrigerator will be a bit of an inconvenience but the payback is many for my application.

The freezer as it is coming out of the box boasts only $2 a month in electricity usage. My modified temperature controller brought that down to 50 cents a month, my regular 20 cubic foot refrigerator freezer drinks $8 a month in coal juice. I very seldom use a freezer and doubt that I will have one at the new cabin, I may make a small one for the times I want an ice cube for some adult beverages.

temp_control.jpg

All I did was wire up a stand alone temperature controller with a type J thermocouple and a 10 amp slave relay powering a receptacle in a small box to cycle it at 40F, most freezer will not go to that high of a temperature. Since most of the temp controllers in these units are capillary tube it would be too hard to change them.

As a side note: Since the infamous ice storm of 2009 and power was lost to hundreds of thousands of people with some being without up to a month (I had a generator and a wood stove) I decided to test how long this box will stay cool with just 8 pounds of ice (a two liter bottle is 4 pounds) I never opened the lid and it stayed at 40F for a full week.

The theory behind how cheap you can operate this is many but here's a quick breakdown:
1) the insulation in a freezer is much better, plus there are no sty, mullion, or defrost heaters.
2) chest styles will not drop all the cold air out when opened, with cold air being heavier it will stay in the box.
3) Newton's law of cooling plays a huge role too - basically it states that the less of a temperature difference between the inside and the outside the more efficient it will be.

What does that mean? cold will migrate to hot and visa versa, that's a law of thermodynamic equilibrium, but it is the rate at which it does that is of concern. A freezer at 0F will gain heat at a much faster rate than a refrigerator at 40F meaning it will take a lot more power to keep food at zero than at 40F (obviously).

A better example with no math involved would be trying to keep your house at 80F while 10F outside, with all that kinetic energy of the hot air it will bounce everywhere and leave the house using up 100 units of heat in 1 hour, the same house kept at 70F will also do the same but at a much slower rate and burn up the same 100 units of heat but taking 3 hours instead.

This is why turning your thermostat down 1 degree can save you up to 3% on your heating costs. Which is what works for this fridge conversion, it was designed for 0F but kept at 40F.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
good idea, are you adding shelves or containers to organize your goods or are you going to just try to put it into it and hope it all stays put?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We dig into our chest freezer almost daily. We organize stuff with cardboard boxes and clear plastic bags, so we can quickly remove the top stuff to get to the bottom and get it all back in very quickly. We put the most often used stuff or stuff that needs to go soon in the basket on top so we will see it and use it. This could work for a fridge, too.

It is good to have such usable, specific info for going off-grid. When my folks move here, I will see if dad wants to help me with some of these types of projects. Thanks for the info!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
This is a great idea! I have considered a SunDanzer refrigerator for some time, but the expense was a bit much for my current situation (especially when you add in the cost of the panel/s). Although not directly solar powered, this appears to be the "next best thing".

Thank you for sharing this. EXCELLENT! :D

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
firem3 said:
good idea, are you adding shelves or containers to organize your goods or are you going to just try to put it into it and hope it all stays put?
I have went back to my standard refrigerator for the time but did use it for two months to get the actual power usage, but when I did use it I put all the common items in the top slide basket and the rest in plastic shoe boxes.

I have put it back into standard freezer mode while I calculate ice production costs, plus I am using the temp controller on my convection oven in dehydrator mode (can't get to 130F with most ovens).

I have plans for easier access and will post pictures then.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
We dig into our chest freezer almost daily. We organize stuff with cardboard boxes and clear plastic bags, so we can quickly remove the top stuff to get to the bottom and get it all back in very quickly. We put the most often used stuff or stuff that needs to go soon in the basket on top so we will see it and use it. This could work for a fridge, too.

It is good to have such usable, specific info for going off-grid. When my folks move here, I will see if dad wants to help me with some of these types of projects. Thanks for the info!
Though this can save about $10 a month it is an inconvenience for most people, I can go days with out opening it and is mostly meant for off grid solar use - I am on grid right now and don't use it because its a pain.

This cold white box does make a condensation line around the top perimeter and if you don't silicone a small trough around it the water will run to the bottom and make a mess.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
This is a great idea! I have considered a SunDanzer refrigerator for some time, but the expense was a bit much for my current situation (especially when you add in the cost of the panel/s). Although not directly solar powered, this appears to be the "next best thing".

Thank you for sharing this. EXCELLENT! :D
Yep the sundazer is way too expensive at $1200 , the only good thing about them is they run on 12vdc and have extra insulation.

I would have a hard time believing they would come close to the coefficient of performance of 3 that I calculate for them compared to the COP of 1.5+ for mine and measured in the real world. Refrigerators generally stay around 2 for a COP regardless of how they achieved the cooling, 12vdc or 120vac - a watt is a watt and so is a btu.

My guesstimate is 150 watts a day for mine and 102 watts for theirs, but using a 12vdc-120vac inverter is gonna cost you 15% in inefficiency and make this cold white box eat 175 watts a day instead. Wrapping this fridge in a layer of 1" thick R7 poly insulation ($30) would bring it closer to the sundazer.

If you were just building a PV system for these and nothing else to run with 10 hours of battery reserve the cost would be:

100watt panel = $400
200 amp battery = $200
or
200 watt panel = $700
800 amp battery = $800
500 watt inverter & T-stat = $100

$600 vs $1600 on the PV system (+1000)
$160 vs $1200 on the refrigerator (-1040)

DC motors have a fraction of the lifespan of an AC motor (40 years avg) which are readily available anywhere at any time for cheap. When the fridge fails in a heat wave do you go to walmart with pocket change or wait for a semi truck with credit card in hand (they only take cash or crack).

Note: A brushless DC motor as sundazer boasts has complicated electronics that can fail esp. under heat but are much more reliable than brushed commutator motors.

Side Note: A 100 watt PV panel at 5 sun hours will make enough power for either unit (500 watt/day) the batteries are sized for only a 50% depth of discharge for a 5 year average lifespan.

Edit: I just re-read this and thought if any physicists were reading would call me on the watt vs btu statement, though I made no insinuation I will clarify that a watt is a unit of work and is instantaneous whereas a btu is a unit of power generally assumed over a given time period.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its guys like you that make life better for guys like me!
Fifty cents per day on-grid is pretty good for a cooler. Just think if everyone did this - what a savings it would be for the country. If we all became end point generators on PV, just think....

How often does the compressor cycle on and off, and do you think that would shorten its life?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Fifty cents per day on-grid is pretty good for a cooler. Just think if everyone did this - what a savings it would be for the country. If we all became end point generators on PV, just think....

How often does the compressor cycle on and off, and do you think that would shorten its life?
It is 50 cents a month not a day, depending on how often you open it and put warm food in, which is not very often for me. The ambient will also make a difference. I actually averaged it from 40 cents in winter to 60 cents cents a month in summer, which means it took between 130 - 200 watts a day.

I do not know the cycle time right now, one thing I miss are my chart recorders. Was planning on making a simple one but too many things going on right now - I am just happy that I can run this on a cheap PV cell.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
davaroo said:

It is 50 cents a month not a day, depending on how often you open it and put warm food in, which is not very often for me. The ambient will also make a difference. I actually averaged it from 40 cents in winter to 60 cents cents a month in summer, which means it took between 130 - 200 watts a day.

I do not know the cycle time right now, one thing I miss are my chart recorders. Was planning on making a simple one but too many things going on right now - I am just happy that I can run this on a cheap PV cell.
50 cents a month - yeah, that's what I meant!

Still, with good insulation, I wouldn't think the cycle time of the compressor would matter much. As you said, they are built of stout stuff and you aren't running them at freezing capacity.

If one wants to live cheap and go back to roughing it, this is the way to go.
Like I said, its guys like you that work it out for the rest of us. Thanks.