this place is worthless for my needs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It's a bit late for this year, but every year shortly before Thanksgiving lots of stores have very inexpensive turkeys. I've been buying lots of them for many years, to freeze and eat throughout the year, also use them to feed dogs. They can be thawed enough to cut into pieces, separate white from dark meat and then re-frozen in smaller packages however you like.

In recent years I've been able to get them for around 20 cents/lb but of course recently they've gone up like everything else. The best deal I found this year was Meijer (these stores only exist east of the Mississippi, mostly in northern/central U.S. states in this region) for 31 cents/lb.
Wow, you got a good price! I don't think I saw them for under $1/pound, but I wasn't looking for it either. A sales rep has been giving everyone at DH's work a free turkey the last couple of years. We ate ours from 2021 this year. :gig

Any meat for $0.20/lb is a reason to stock up! well done!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got two free turkeys this year by meeting a minimum purchase. I had to do that twice - one turkey with each $100 purchase. Not hard at all to reach $100. If you didn't spend that amount you could get the turkey for .49cents per pound. We can still find leg/thigh combos for .59 cents per pound on chickens.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had $.45 lb but had to get $45 other tor that. I didn't need anything so didn't buy this year. Plus already 2 turkey breasts in freezer. I personally prefer only the white meat....😐. Have several whole chicken already. Agree seasonal prices are the time to buy! 👍

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubby's work gives everyone a free turkey every year. You can choose to keep it or have it donated to local shelter
same at our house, we usually eat the one we get around April when we are running low on what we have hunted. we aren't super huge fans of turkey, usually one of the last things to be eaten in our house

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm not a huge turkey eater BUT I keep wanting to buy and raise them! :idunno :thits a feeling of providing my own food, I guess. I have extra chickens......

Can't rationalize any of it better. The drive to produce.:hu🤣

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The cheapest price we found was $.58/lb, but you had to buy $50 worth of other stuff, which turned out to be pretty easy because I wanted to donate a bunch of stuff to the church pantry. We are enjoying the most delicious soup from the leftovers now...