Check your batteries and other supplies

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I hope that this is the correct place to post this. I posted this on another site and also wanted to make sure that the folks on this site are also aware of the potential danger.
Everyone is aware of the problems that BP is having in the gulf and most folks only think about the sea life and birds dying and the impact that it will have on the fishing industry but, there are several desalination plants that might have to be shutdown which might have an impact on water supplies if some of the folks living away from the coast have their water pumped from these plants.

More importantly there are several power plants, both nuclear and fossil plants that receive their cooling water from the Atlantic and if the oil wraps around FL, as it appears that it is doing and moves along the east coast these plants may have to reduce their power output or shutdown altogether which will cause a drain on the grid.

Let me emphasis that THERE IS NO DANGER OF LEAKS AT THE NUCLEAR PLANTS the concern is that there will be rolling brownouts and blackouts.

How will the coastal power plants reducing output or going offline impact folks if you live in the Midwest or western part of the country? The grid is tied together and utilities trade/sell power all the time. So in other words a lot of the power generated by the east coast plants will have to be provided by plants in other parts of the country and the demand may cause rationing to their normal customers.

How long would this last? Who knows for sure?

Make sure that you check your flashlights, candles and other preps used for lighting and cooking. Also make sure that you have some water stored.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
That is interesting . . . not something most of us would associate with what is going on in the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks for the head's up!

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
curly_kate Ive worked in the power industry since the late 70s and have been a consultant since the late 80s.

Every power plant be it fossil or nuclear uses cooling water which is taken from a river, ocean or cooling pond on-site. It circulates through the plant to help cool equipment.

NOTE: In the case of Nuclear Power Plants the cooling water does NOT pick up any radiation. The point of this post is NOT to discuss the pros or cons of nuclear power.

Under normal circumstances the water comes into the plant, gets clean, circulates through the plant and is returned back to its source, cleaner than when it entered the plant.

The potential problem is that the equipment used to clean the cooling water may not be able to keep up with the oil. This could alto mess up the heat exchanger. If this happens then the plants will have to either reduce their output of power or close down all together.

The in-take pipes, which are the pipes that bring the water into the plants are below the surface, but if the oil starts to sink then the oil will be taken in with the cooling water.

Waterford and Crystal River are two nuclear plants on the gulf coast. Turkey Point and St Lucie are nuclear plants on on the east coast of FL. This doesnt include several fossil plants that would also be affected.

Just for giggles lets say that these plants have to reduce or go off-line, which means that they are dead in the water. So the question is how will that impact you if you are living in the middle of TN or the middle of where ever.

The power utilities on ied together by the grid and when one section of the country needs more power generating plants in other parts of the country will sell it to them. Thats the reason you dont see the electric being supplied to your home interrupted when the power plant near you is going through an outage.
The grid does a good job, most of the time. The main concern is that parts of it are over 50 years old and could potentially be a problem.

Think back a few years ago when a limb fell from a tree in Ohio and the whole eastern part of the U.S. went black. There were additional reasons but the falling of the limb was one.

Iif the plants along the gulf and eastern seaboard have to reduce output or go off line then power would be brought from other parts of the contry which could potentially overload the grid leading to rolling brown outs and black outs.

That in a nutshell is why I encourage people to make sure that they have water stored as well and a flashlight and batteries. You might want to get a portable radio also. Think about other things that would be impacted if there were brown outs or black outs in your area. No power = No ATM, No Gas for your vehicle, no stove or microwave.

I hope that Im totally wrong about this, but when I was watching FOX this morning they were talking about the well being capped but it hadnt been stopped. They also mentioned that this could go on till August.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great information! I'm going to pick up some more gallons of water on the way home. We had 4 days without power when Ike came through our area unexpectedly a few years back. Ever since then, we've been pretty good about keeping stocked up (and we always have cash on hand), but more water definitely can't hurt.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, I heard they have a cap over the BP oil well, but I've heard that is just window dressing and the real problem won't be solved unless they can get the relief wells to work . . . August at the earliest. I hear that all 6 computer models they have run show the oil slick rounding FL and heading up the east coast in the next 6 (?) days.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is a bit off topic but I was hoping you could explain to me.

"Under normal circumstances the water comes into the plant, gets clean, circulates through the plant and is returned back to its source, cleaner than when it entered the plant."

But the when the water is returned to the ocean it is warmer than normal correct?

Is this not why the area off of the southern Ca coast line is having algae issues? Dead zones??

http://www.pollutionissues.com/Te-Un/Thermal-Pollution.html

I guess I found the information I was looking for.

It's just sad.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
TanksHill maybe its off subject, but Ill try to answer it anyway.

Actually the warm water seems to attract the fish. If you even want to go fishing and youre near a power plant head over there and youll be surprised how many fish that you will catch.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dont loose sleep over this folks. My intentions was to share some information not to cause a panic.

The funny thing is after I posted this on another sight I received a phone call from a friend working at one of the FL plants. We were talking about this and that and I mentioned that I had posted the comments and wanted to know if he thought that I was off the mark. His remark was that he thought that I had nailed it.

The reality of the world being as they are we should always be prepared so that when they happen we will be able to provide for our loved ones.