CheerioLounge - Desert Dreamin'

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
4399_cactusflower_welcome.jpg

Well, after reading through several of y'all's journals, I've decided to give it a try. I don't know that there is all that much going on here to fill a journal, but who knows. Maybe knowing that I have committed myself to keeping a record, I'll actually make things happen...

So without any further ado, here is my first entry:

Name: Mike
Birthday: March 12
Hometown: Born Topeka, KS, Grew up in Orange County, CA
Current Residence: California High Desert
Relationship Status: With my partner "J" for 19 years - My username is an anagram of our combined last names
Political Views: My Own
Religious Views: Christian

Activities: Love to do volunteer work, although I havent had much opportunity since we left Hawaii. I have been looking for a literacy program out here. It's a pretty small town.

Interests: Travel and now a major interest in farming and living SS!!

Favorite Music: Classical - Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Bach, Rachmaninoff. Old school R&B, especially the girl groups! And I can't forget Al Green!!

Favorite TV Shows: Food Network shows and I must admit, Im kinda hooked on those Real Housewives

Favorite Movies: Horse movies!! Secretariat, Hidalgo, Seabiscuit, Dreamer

Favorite Books: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and anything by James Patterson (My little indulgence, quick-read murder mysteries)

About Me: Happily married to my very talented partner "J". After I became ill with a chronic illness and could no longer work a regular 9-5 job (my background is in customer service and call center management) we sold nearly all of our possessions and moved to Western Samoa ("J" is Samoan and some of his family is still there). After about 6 mos of rest and relaxation, I went to the local newspaper and got a job as a proofreader for the English language version of the daily paper. I made the equivalent of US$1.55 per hour. What a great experience that was!! After about 2 years in paradise we decided it was time to return to the US. We eventually ended up in Hawaii. We stayed in Hawaii for 6 years. Missing our families on the mainland, we decided to return to California. After paying rent for so many years, we decided it would be nice to actually own our home. So we started looking Well, it turns out that buying a home in LA/Orange county is quite expensive!! My sister had moved out to the high desert and talked us into coming to visit. Within a few weeks we had found our 5 acre homestead and a seller that was willing to carry the paper and give us an incredible deal. The rest, as they say, is history. It can be a little boring at times, but all in all I think we made a good decision. We have lots of great plans for this place. See below for details if you are still interested ;)

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
California High Desert, Zone 9a, Hot in the summer (90-120), cold in the winter (20s 50s). Perfect (70-90) from the middle of March through about the middle of May.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Two plus Sole, a 7 yr old lab. Been with "J" for 19 years.

3. How would you define self sufficiency?
I would like to eventually be completely off the grid. Right now were taking baby steps toward that goal.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
I would complete the expansion of our house. Currently finishing the bedroom addition. We started with a 440 sq ft cabin and just added a 230 sq ft bedroom and poured the foundation for the garage/studio. I would also love to have a barn and pens to house a couple of cows, some pigs, goats and a huge chicken coop for meaties and layers.

5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?
See #4

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
No, but I would love to learn!

7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
We spent a few years in Samoa and were very impressed with how self-sufficient the folks there have to be. It is a very poor country and to survive you had better know how to live off the land and/or fish. It made me realize just how spoiled and wasteful most of us are.

8. Cloth or paper?
Paper

9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
Chickens for eggs currently. Would love to expand the layer flock and add some meaties. Want to get a few goats this Spring. Want to learn more about solar and wind power.

10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
We will probably never get in to humanure! :tongue :sick :gig

11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
Once we have the space, Yes! I really want to learn the fine art of canning and making preserves!!

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
In my mind I'm on the beach at Lalomanu in Samoa. In reality, I am sitting in my chair in the corner by the window reading!

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
Never have, but Im sure I could.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
"J" is a fashion designer/patternmaker by trade and makes some of our clothing. He has also made aprons and other kitchen stuff to sell at the Junior High Christmas craft sale. He also does alterations and dressmaking out of our home. Im not particularly crafty.

15. Can you legally have livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yes, we are zoned for agricultural use. Just chickens for the time being. But we want goats, pigs and more chickens!!

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
I have, but not for many years. Metal

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
Yes, If I can keep the desert squirrels away this Spring, I will try it again! I will try to grow whatever I can!

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Again, not for many years! Bait!

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
Own 5 acres in unincorporated San Bernardino County, in the California High Desert. Definitely country!

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
None of the above (as far as I know)

21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
No specialty yet! I want to be able to raise/grow all of our food! Want to learn canning

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
Im sure it already exists. Animal Husbandry and I would also study Veterinary Medicine.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
Well, we did build the bedroom addition ourselves! Would love to learn cabinetry and furniture making.

24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
Yes, somewhat... Apparently some herbals can interfere with my medications. Gotta watch that.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Anywhere GREEN! So we could pasture the livestock and free-range the chickens.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
Currently looking for one to put in the bedroom for heat.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
Captain Feed the World? Toleranceman! I don't know.... :p

28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?
No, not really.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
Love to cook, especially baking!! Yes, yes and yes.

30. What was your MOS?
Not a veteran.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
No. Can you eat jackrabbit or coyote? :/

32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
I love to read! And read I do! Everything I can get my hands on!

33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
The one where every human treats every other human with dignity and respect with no exceptions. Where noone is hungry and hatred is unknown.

34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
No. Yes!

35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?
Cannot compute!

36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
No. Yes.

37. In what do you trust?
God, the love of our families and each other.

38. Do you make things yourself to save money?
Some clothing.

39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Yes. Unfortunately we still dont have any!!

Edited for clarity

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Howdy, Mike! Interesting read through I had there. Welcome to the Journaling Crowd! :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mike! 20-50 degrees is not a cold winter by our Kansas standards!! :lol: That'd be considered pretty mild!

I'm looking forward to reading your progress towards your goals here. I love to read, too.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
BarredBuff - Thanks for the welcome. I hope "interesting" is a good thing?

Marianne said:
Mike! 20-50 degrees is not a cold winter by our Kansas standards!! :lol: That'd be considered pretty mild!

I'm looking forward to reading your progress towards your goals here. I love to read, too.
Hi Marianne! It sure is cold for someone who had been living on tropical islands for the previous 8 or so years! After 3 years, I've pretty much gotten used to it now. I've been in Kansas in the winter! I'll take my 20-50 thanks!! :lol:

Well, I hope I don't disappoint! I've already learned a ton from y'all and am looking forward to putting it to work here!

-Mike

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Hi Mike! I spent several winters in Quartzsite. I'd almost bet you've been there! Anyway, welcome!!!!!!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Mike and a big welcome from WA state!

Hope you enjoy this forum, I know I do, and have also learned a ton of cool useful stuff here. Your journal is very interesting so far,and look forward to more from you.:clap

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Hi Mike! I spent several winters in Quartzsite. I'd almost bet you've been there! Anyway, welcome!!!!!!
Hi Snapshot! Thanks for the welcome! I actually have not been to Quartzsite that I know of. When I was very young we took a family vacation to Garden of the Gods and the petrified forest? I know eventually we ended up at Pike's Peak. Is Quartzsite on the way to any of those places if you start from Indio, CA on Interstate 10? I think I would really like to get to Sedona someday. Have you been there?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
deb4o said:
Hi Mike and a big welcome from WA state!

Hope you enjoy this forum, I know I do, and have also learned a ton of cool useful stuff here. Your journal is very interesting so far,and look forward to more from you.:clap
Thanks Deb! I'm getting kind of excited about it! :ya

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
BarredBuff - Thanks for the welcome. I hope "interesting" is a good thing?

Marianne said:

Hi Marianne! It sure is cold for someone who had been living on tropical islands for the previous 8 or so years! After 3 years, I've pretty much gotten used to it now. I've been in Kansas in the winter! I'll take my 20-50 thanks!! :lol:

Well, I hope I don't disappoint! I've already learned a ton from y'all and am looking forward to putting it to work here!

-Mike
5 years in South America and then come back to Canada. I'm still not used to it and think of going back often.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It is a good thing, you look like you are getting on with your SS goals rather well :thumbsup

Latest posts