Cheesemaking Thread

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my first pressed cheese (although it is not an Actual Real Hard Cheese, as it has no culture or even rennet and not particularly aged) - I know it looks kind of "rustic" to say the least :p but it is quite tasty, even my non cheese liking non food complimenting DH said "wow, you know, that is actually quite good!".

Cheese003.jpg

Theoretically it is Ricotta Salata, made more or less according to the recipe in Ricki Carroll's book, only not exactly b/c the instructions are lacking in certain crucial details, harrumph. Basically it's whole-milk ricotta, salted and milled after draining and then lightly pressed for 24 hrs (in a former margarine tub with holes I poked all over it, weighted with a couple cans o' pineapple :p) and then let sit in the fridge for a week, salted and turned every day. It is a week old now and I gave up on self restraint and started eating it for real, but the recipe says that you can/should age it for several weeks.

I haven't the faintest idea what Ricotta Salata is REALLY supposed to be like, this probably doesn't resemble it much at all, but I like it and HIGHLY recommend it as a worthwhile experiment. Only ingredients are milk, citric acid and cheese salt (you could use pickling or kosher salt).

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You like it and it looks pretty yummy to me....that's all that counts! Great job :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's just plain ol' homogenized cow's milk from the local dairy store. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with goat's milk ricotta, though :)

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have three more quarts in the fridge, and already got my first inquiry about whether I will be selling yogurt! Maybe Mya will earn her keep after all....of course, it will have to be sold for "feeding to the dog!"

What should I price a quart at? I am thinking$4-5, but I am not a yogurt lover, so I may be undercutting myself.

I will be saving milk soon for my first cheese project, as soon as I have a few hours free (ha-ha) that I can schedule it into.....will report back here soon!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'd price it the same as *comparable* commercial product if such exists in your area, or somewhat (but not too much) more expensive than good store-brand normal yogurt.

You're real sure where you stand legally, tho?

Have fun,

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The comparable product, goat milk yogurt, is $2.50 per 6 oz container!!! Big-brand yogurt is just under $4.00 per quart. Goat's milk, if you can find it, is around $8-9 per half gallon.

Legally? I can sell it for soap-making and pet food, so that is what I will do, and only to people I know very well..... ;)

I mentioned $6 per quart to one lady, the one who bought the $2.50 cups when she could find them, and she thought I was undercutting myself. I am thinking of saying $7 for the first quart, then $6 per quart if they return the canning jar each time in usable condition, no chips. And if they have a standing order at least once a month. Or once a week?

My feed bill for all the goats would be well-covered, probably the birds, too, if I sold just a few quarts a month.