Chick brooder

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 years ago, when I got my first 6 chicks, they spent their first weeks in a cat cage in the guest room. A very nice cat cage - 2'x3'x4' high, with a couple of shelves part way up to play on - but it still wasn't the best solution, and they made a huge mess. So I saw this cute brooder on BYC; started out as a rabbit hutch on Craig's list. I didn't have a rabbit hutch, so I started from the ground up. It is overkill for the 3 little chicklets that I'll be picking up on Friday, but it was fun to build, and they will be able to live in the garage, and go outside on nice days. And I'll have a place for Chicken ICU if ever it is needed in the future. I still need to finish the roof, but other than that it is done.

Chickbrooder2009.jpg

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW! Now THATS a nice brooder! I am super impressed. I cant let my little chickies see that, they live " in the ghettos" compared to that! :lol: :thumbsup

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Very cool! That is an awesome brooder, they should be happy in there for quite a while!

I used cardboard TP boxes from walmart....what a pain.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone; I'm rather proud of it.
Just an additional note - in case it isn't obvious :lol:- the ramp is hinged so it can be swung up and hooked to the underside of the floor when not in use. And there is, of course, a trap door in the floor, which will remain closed when the chicks are little, and when the brooder is inside.
:ya I just got a call from the farm store - the chicks might be here tomorrow! :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Edited: Stupid computer thought it needed to post twice.