Chicken advice/opinion please.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay my internet chicken friends, the guy we were suppossed to get 6 more chickens from(3 hens & 3 roosters) told dh today that his wife won't let him get rid of them. So no new chickens. We were discussing hatching our own using one of the leghorn rooster's we were going to butcher in a few weeks & the americauna as she is my most consistent egg layer(6/week). How do you think that breed match up would work. I also have 2 buff orphington hens but there is only 1 brown egg each day so they are not as consistent in their laying. Was wondering what color eggs the babies would lay once they start laying too. Any info or advice would be appreciated. I do also have a leghorn hen but she is so dang skittish & whenever I have moved her she does not lay for about a week. Thanks in advance. If I do not respond over the weekend it is because I did not get on the internet(we tend to get busy around here on weekends). Have a great weekend.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know, as my Leghorn hen and my Ameracauna hen both lay light tan eggs! So...I couldn't tell you...I've never known a leghorn to lay a tan or brown egg before now either! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So sorry you didn't get the free chickens. I know you were ready to have them!

Any match up would be fine...not sure what you would get but leghorns are supposed to be white layers, others range tan to brown etc. etc........does it really matter what color they lay???? we all know there isn't a difference in flavor truly between white and colored eggs, BUT, of course customers swear there is.....so if you are going to sell, keep breeds together ya know...but if for just you...I guess matching anyone up and getting pot luck eggs is the way to go.

I didn't like the Buffs as layers at all....they are a heavy breed and eat more than they lay.

have a great weekend and hope you didn't work too hard!!! :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How interesting Beekissed, my americauna lays greenish sometimes blue eggs. The buffs are brown & the leghorn lays white. So I get an assortment of egg colors in my flock.

Karen I was just curious since they lay different colors. by breed. I was thinking about the leghorn to leghorn matchup & then I have all white egg layers from the chicks that hatch. I also realize some will be cockerels but they would go in the freezer!! So extra bonus there to.

Thanks ladies I appreciate it.