Chicken and dumplings recipe

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Guys.... I am Cajun and we simply don’t fix this dish. I had a lot of cookbooks but y’all know....Ida. Help a girl out.
I know one of y’all got to have an award winning chicken and dumpling recipe. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🐔
I started just tenderizing two roosters about 5 months old in a crockpot with two onions because that’s about all I remember.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Guys.... I am Cajun and we simply don’t fix this dish. I had a lot of cookbooks but y’all know....Ida. Help a girl out.
I know one of y’all got to have an award winning chicken and dumpling recipe. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🐔
I started just tenderizing two roosters about 5 months old in a crockpot with two onions because that’s about all I remember.
I use a bisquik copycat. I like tiny fluffy dumplings that are moist all the way through. DH likes hard slimy potato dumplings or huge biscuit dumplings that are dry inside. 🤷‍♀️

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like tiny fluffy Bisquick dumplings also. I cook the chicken in broth, maybe add a bay leaf. I cheat and add a can of cream of chicken soup. For color I'll use some peas...maybe peas/carrots depending on who's eating it. Lots of onion and a bit of garlic. Keep tasting and adjusting spices the way you like it. I add Tony Chachere's. My son is my chicken/dumpling lover and he likes lots of flavor. I'll toss some poultry seasoning in the broth AND in the dumplings.

I need to make a pot!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like tiny fluffy Bisquick dumplings also. I cook the chicken in broth, maybe add a bay leaf. I cheat and add a can of cream of chicken soup. For color I'll use some peas...maybe peas/carrots depending on who's eating it. Lots of onion and a bit of garlic. Keep tasting and adjusting spices the way you like it. I add Tony Chachere's. My son is my chicken/dumpling lover and he likes lots of flavor. I'll toss some poultry seasoning in the broth AND in the dumplings.

I need to make a pot!
Very similar to how I make mine too. I don't use cream of anything but use flour as a thickener

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I read that after the chicken is tender to remove it from the broth. I know that’s the point that the dumplings are added but I am wondering about the bones. Do y’all pull them out? And then at some point I think everything has to be married back together. I don’t want to make it look like a big slop.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So I read that after the chicken is tender to remove it from the broth. I know that’s the point that the dumplings are added but I am wondering about the bones. Do y’all pull them out? And then at some point I think everything has to be married back together. I don’t want to make it look like a big slop.
I keep a bone broth pot cooking, scoop out broth and some meat to make a soup in a different pot. Or, I'm lazy and call the bone broth "soup".

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep a bone broth pot cooking, scoop out broth and some meat to make a soup in a different pot. Or, I'm lazy and call the bone broth "soup".
Oh...so you kinda double dip. You pull out enough to make the dish and you turn the rest into one big soup starter?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can tell y’all for years I was confused because I first ate something that was called chicken and dumplings at college and it really looked like chicken fricasse that was doctored up with dumplings because they realized they didn’t have rice. I actually liked it and for years I made something I called chicken and dumplings before I knew I was off.