Chicken changing time!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have about 100-125 red and black sex links that are about 2 1/2 years old and we were waiting for that opportunity to sell.....yippee, Tony's friend Chuck sells chickens and wants all of them for $5.50 each.

We are getting 100 new birds for $6.25---16-18 week old pullets. So will be ready to lay fast from the local farm breeder.
Bummer cause the last price was $6 each....but going up only .25 per bird I think is great.

So bird round up tonight at the barn...and guess what? being it is later cause Chuck can't come early....I get out of it! Yippee!!!! Nicole and me get to stay home. Tony said he would handle it.

I told him to take the 15 roos I was going to process also. I am not in the mood to handle the birds right now. Will process some of my other hens later since I do have good chicken in the freezer right now. Not worried about a restock right now on chicken.

just throwing out some farm stuff we are doing...fun to chat about it.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Way to go on selling the old chickens and getting new ones!! It looks like if you paid $6 and are selling them for $5.50 they only cost you .50 per bird plus feed and you made all that $$ on eggs!!!!! You go girl!!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes Pam that is one of the perks to having egg layers. They truly pay for themselves.

yup these were bought for $6
so $5.50 each is a good deal back on them.
and they made me tons of money on eggs definitely. And I ate a few too :)

so for the small farmer this is a good dual purpose critter to have---too bad I didn't like birds more. I am not a bird person and these chickens don't thrill me one bit..HA HA HA

Tony has been wanting to build another chicken barn and get like another 250 birds but I keep saying no. I don't know...too much money being spent all the time. But they are money makers.
I don't know..LOL

I get too tired to think sometimes and it just gets on my nerves when he chats about chickens..HA HA HA

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Eggs only go for $2 a dozen around here so it is not as lucritive of a deal to do here. My BJG take a LONG time to start laying too!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats Karen on the sale. How will your egg business be handled? Will there be much down time between the new ready to lay pullets and the offing of the older hens? So you get a break?:D

I was going to ask you a question so I hope you don't mind the side bar. If I purchased say 50 Cornish x to feed out. How much space do I need for them? Do they need an enclosed shelter? Or just a safe place to hang out and eat for two months? Any advice would be great. Thanks, gina

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea $2 a dozen isn't top price like we are getting around here....the farm vendor next to me just raised his price to $4.25 dozen. I think I am going to stay at $3.75 this year.

I am holding all prices thru this year....just to not be the one that increases...I can still do that cause I gave myself enough cushion on the expenses etc. when charging.

See the other farms have farm hands cause they got busy and they can't keep up. That labor means raised prices. Being a family farm and no outside paychecks, means I can hold steady.

ugh.
business like any other I guess.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gina
for the meat birds they don't require a ton of space BUT you have to give them a shelter. They have to have cover....from sun, rain, etc. etc.

So easiest thing to do is build a hoop house type for them to get under or a BIG A frame type structure.

It is nice having meaties that grow in 8-9 weeks and are processed.

BUT now for me, personally, I do not like the Cornish X......honestly they are almost mutant birds in a way. Bred to eat and be giant and have tons of medical problems. But I like more of a "barnyard big" variety for meaties.

Any reason you want Cornish? Cause they are the best definitely for breast meat size etc. but for me I am shying away from them now. I think alot of people are starting shy from them.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not set on any bird in specific, any suggestions would be great. I am just contemplating growing some up for the freezer. That breed came to mind. How many square ft per bird in an "A" frame type structure. 2? Some nice heritage breed or anything would work great.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tanks I can't give you the exact square feet needed...I just don't remember...LOL-LOL

I have stalls I raise my birds in along with outside runs...but remember I have like 40 stalls available...LOL....so I never have to think spacing.

I know if you scroll down and go into BYC they could answer you in a second.

One person said they took the A frame from an old swing set and covered it with tarp and had a great home for the birds....ideas like that are great SS ideas.

But heritage breeds would be nice! You definitely want to choose a meat type big bird for the breast meat etc. Those better layers are sure scrawny in the breast area. You could have some super delish chickens in the freezer but they take like 2-3 weeks longer than the Cornish to grow....which in a way is a good thing.

You got a great thing going on.....raising your own meat birds is fun and fast!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, My only major obstalce is processing. I think I need to bite the bullet and figure it out. I have a neighbor who has family in Romania, farm stuff is pretty routine for him. I think I might con him into a lesson or two. maybe a per bird fee. Who knows.