chicken coop ideas.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i thought maybe it would be neat to be able to see what others have done in regards to their chicken coops. and to be able to see what others do and dont like about their coop, and what they would change.

*this is the temperary coop a friend of mine put up when her free-range flock was being attacked by foxes. it was to be temperary, but it is VERY sturdy! (i fell against one of the middle 4X4s) and it didnt even wobble.
*she used T posts for the outside supports, and drove them into the ground. (they are @ 5-6 ft tall) and the center are 4X4 posts NOT SET AT ALL!! she has 1 to 2 T posts holsing tham up. 1X2 strips go along each side of the tops of the 4X4s, and the tops of theT posts. then she used welded wire fencing for around the sides, and poultry netting on the top. she then had trouble with weasles or rats so she used hardware cloth on the bottom. for when she first took chicks outside- she had a rabbit cage hung made out of 1/2" X 1" wire.
*this coop is very sturdy despite how flimsy it sounds, and it made it threw a couple pretty good storms!
*she said if she leaves it up for the turkeys, she is going to hang a tarp on the north side to cut the cold north wind.
4137_2012-12-01_151535.jpg

4137_2012-12-01_151545.jpg

eta: she asked me to tell you all not to look TOO close! lol

she said as a temperary coop she wouldnt do anything different.
but if she decides to make it permanant, she will:
#1)move it away from the house a little more
#2)use ALL 4X4 posts
#3)sink all the posts
#4)enclose the back section

as it is made now it didnt cost her anything to make. the posts came from their large barn hit by a tornado a couple years ago. the fencing and posts were left over from when they put up new fence this year, and the poultry netting was from when her grandparents raised quail.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my quarantine coop.

IMG_1184.jpg

Silkie coop now.

IMG_1189.jpg

Main flock coop. The shelter is 10x16, and the run is 16x30 with the bit extra room where it goes past and to a point. I have a big pond net over the top that we are taking down and putting up pvc arches and tarp over part of the run. The fencing is dog kennel panels. We know we'll eventually be moving it, so they work well for our needs.

IMG_0819.jpg

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i use the 6 ft tall kennal pannels also, but i am moving my coops around but will post pics when done.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of a coop I built this spring and a link to the step by step build, materials used and costs, as well as pics of the coop winterized:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cattle-panel-hoop-coop

600x278px-LL-fbd25bd6_5_coop_wings_2_front_view.jpeg

600x278px-LL-15bacc13_5_coop_wings_4_rear_view_all_doors_open.jpeg

600x450px-LL-ad81c66e_5_coop_wings_3_side_view.jpeg

LL

Winterized with PVC storm windows shaped to fit the curve of the arch. The sunny side of the coop is to catch southern exposure winter sun and it does a great job..very warm and toasty with lots of light.

LL

Back of the coop showing roosts, nest boxes and pop door.

LL

Solarium side of the coop with rain gutter and scrap 2x4 feeder built in about 5 min. Easy, cheap, repurposed.

Lord of the weeds

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I was going to post some pics of my coop and tractor, but I guess the forum software thinks I'm a spammer and won't let me.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
WOW! Your coops are great! Thanks for the idea buddies. ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Lord of weeds, thats part of the spam filters, after 10 posts you'll be clear.

Nice coops, I'll try and get a few pics of mine this week. Mine is just a simple 8 by 8 coop with old fashioned pole roosts, and nests with outdoor access via trap door. I also have a run for quarantines/emergencies, etc. But for the most part my chickens, ducks, and geese run out.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, I love the nest boxes! Those are great.

That's a nice coop. I love how they have side shade in the summer and still get breeze.

I'm going to have to make a 4th pen for when I separate out birds for breeding groups. It will probably just be on the other side of the silkie pen so I can use that wall. I can use the quarantine pen for a breeding group as well. We're going to hatch some ameraucanas and brahmas next year.