Chicken developing naked neck???

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Over the last three days I have noticed that one of my girls is getting a bald neck....just under her *chin* (about in inch long) also around her facial area...not as bald as her neck but it is thin.

Should I do anything or be particularly concerned??

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I had 2 chickens develop that and it turned out to be the result of one feather picker. When I confined the bad girl the feathers grew back immediately.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Do you think she is molting? My B.A. molts like that, up and around her head mostly. (When her feathers began to grow back, she looked like she had dreadlocks.)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Are the feathers completely gone, or are there still some stublble? it quite possibly could be feather picking. where is she on the pecking order?

If I remember correctly, sh'e not really that old, is she? so that makes me think she might be too young for a molt?

Either way, usually to promote feather growth, more protein is given. I would start with that and see if she is being pecked by the others. Usually other hens pick feathers b/c they need more protein too.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
She is a BA and all three are 1 yr next
month. They all look. Little disheveled and
have for the last couple months. I have been giving them more protein lately, hoping that would tidy them all up a bit!

She is lower on the short totem pole, so it could be picking, guess I will try to keep a closer eye on them.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
have for the last couple months. I have been giving them more protein lately, hoping that would tidy them all up a bit!

She is lower on the short totem pole, so it could be picking, guess I will try to keep a closer eye on them.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:

It is more than likely molting, especially if all of them are looking a bit rough around the edges. I had a rooster that would molt and loose all the feathers down his neck, made him look like a big dog got a hold of him and shook him.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Most of my EE's molt that way. My rooster started first and I thought something had attacked him. After a week or two some of my hens started. I was in panic mode thinking something was attacking my birds. I finally figured it out after more of them started looking the same way.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had one BA that looked like she stuck her head in the water bucket, neck and head were so sparce of feathers. All are under a year old. Don't know if it is weather related but most of my GLW girls are loosing feathers in the head and neck areas. They look so cold. Am supplementing with protein, extra carbs and fat. Hey TN wasn't supposed to be this cold. Wah

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am relieved to hear that it is probably just an awkward molt.

I keep giving them extra bits of protein every other day, and they nibble on the dogs food whenever they can....I hope they start looking better soon :/