Chicken First Aid Kit

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can get sutures at gun and knife shows around here. They have expired dates on them for the sterilization guarantee, but it's perfect for poultry first aid.

I had to stitch a hen's back together once with boiled sewing thread and my sharpest needed because of a rough rooster. Skin was just too torn. She healed fast but stitch removal sucked.

I now keep disolvable sutures. Ive had to use them twice, but it was much easier. Especially since one was a chick the cat grabbed. Hens beat the crap out of the cat and chick recovered.

Cat steers clear of the hens as none of them trust him even years later. His sister can snuggle right in with the hens no issue as she will let chicks climb her.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Can get sutures at gun and knife shows around here. They have expired dates on them for the sterilization guarantee, but it's perfect for poultry first aid.

I had to stitch a hen's back together once with boiled sewing thread and my sharpest needed because of a rough rooster. Skin was just too torn. She healed fast but stitch removal sucked.

I now keep disolvable sutures. Ive had to use them twice, but it was much easier. Especially since one was a chick the cat grabbed. Hens beat the crap out of the cat and chick recovered.

Cat steers clear of the hens as none of them trust him even years later. His sister can snuggle right in with the hens no issue as she will let chicks climb her.
thankfully DH will suture and we have those supplies on hand. A few years ago we had to stitch up a bad breeding injury. Didn't think she would make it, but I guess she was a tough old bird. 🥰

Last edited: