Chicken Mash

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made or used a mash consisting of 2 way and 14% creep , and let the water do its magic in fermentation of this food ?
Comments greatly appreciated as hopefully my girls will love this new food .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No they can't see well. Which is why I have a courtyard that their pens open into so they can "free range" there. I just change which pen is open. Usually I have fencing dividing it in half but the puppy is using it right now.

Silkies know they cant see and learn to dunk their heads in water. I use water cups in summer because the water lasts longer and stays cleaner. Some hens will bill the water out and mix it up into mud. Then I get this.

Screenshot_20220827-190330_Gallery.jpg

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have no chickens now. I gave them away before I moved to sons house. At my farm, there is a series of tumble down coops that need to go. I’ll get chickens again, but not any time soon. Then I’ll have to choose a breed, no idea what that will be.
It’s hard to pick just one breed. :hide

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wh
Has anyone ever made or used a mash consisting of 2 way and 14% creep , and let the water do its magic in fermentation of this food ?
Comments greatly appreciated as hopefully my girls will love this new food .
What is 2 way? (I tried Google, but “2 way feed” wasn’t enough to go on.) And 14% is low for chickens, not to mention it’s formulated for cattle. @baymule has used a multipurpose feed for all her different animals with success. Maybe she has input on whether 14% cattle feed is close enough nutritionally to what she used. You will probably still need to offer oyster shell on the side.

I’m with @Trying2keepitReal . I really liked fermenting feed, but it was too labor intensive to keep doing it. (My flock ranges from 100-200 depending on time of year.) Now I just keep a small batch fermenting for only the chick brooders.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In chicken math I only have a few. 15 in large fowl pen and 73 in silkie pens.

I have several on the cull list after breeding is done.
I can go to TSC or FFH and always look at the chicks and want to play with them but never bring any home. I just experienced my tiny hen sit on 4 eggs and it was too precious. Now, that might happen every spring or summer,lol

However, caught this one today giving his all to crow. He is about 7wks old, hatched July's 2nd. I have a boy,lol

20220827_142101.jpg
Here is real mom and dad ( he is a surrogated peep) Her sister sat on her 4 eggs:

20220811_133006.jpg
And yes, there is a chair everywhere,lol The one in the run, they have never gotten on it ever. They know mama sits there to give them treats,lol

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No they can't see well. Which is why I have a courtyard that their pens open into so they can "free range" there. I just change which pen is open. Usually I have fencing dividing it in half but the puppy is using it right now.

Silkies know they cant see and learn to dunk their heads in water. I use water cups in summer because the water lasts longer and stays cleaner. Some hens will bill the water out and mix it up into mud. Then I get this.

View attachment 20074

punk rocker!

Latest posts