Chicken missing feathers

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I noticed today that one of my hens is missing a bunch of feathers on the back of her neck. They look like they are broken off, like maybe a dog got ahold of her & came away with some feathers. But there is no sign of a perimeter breach, and all of the other chickens are fine. Doesn't look like it's rooster induced, and this isn't one of our chickens who likes to jump the fence. Which leaves me with a hawk. Does this sound like something a hawk or other bird of prey might do? The hen is fine, but DH & I are just puzzling over what might have happened.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure it is not an enthusiastic rooster? They often grab the hen by the neck....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have one w/a bald spot. One of the goats grabbed her, and pulled out a mouthful of feathers. :/

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our hens were picking on our smallest chicken and she had a big bald spot on the back of the neck due to this (I guess she was lowest in the pecking order). We put Blu-kote on her neck. We also offered more protein after talking to the "chicken lady" at our local Farm & Home Center. She said raw liver is a good choice. Put a string through it and hang it in the coop for them to peck at.

Latest posts