chicken water for winter

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i normaly switch to a black rubbermade pan, but wonder what you all think of this?
4137_5813191.jpg

4137_5813175.jpg

i only use minamal shavings and straw in the coop. but fire was my first thought.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why don't you try it out somewhere besides the chicken house first, just to see how much it heats things up. It looks like a good idea to me. Sure wish I had put electricity out to my chicken house when we built it.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you have hit on a wonderful idea. Make sure you adjust the wattage of the bulb to minimize the fire hazard. I still use my old cookie tin with a light inside for freeze protection and it has served me well for many years. I have a 25 watt bulb in there and it has eliminated all freezing even when the outdoor temps get down into negative numbers.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This seems like a REALLY good idea.

but fire scares me on this for some reason. probably would never happen, but I am one of those fire phobia people :)

Can't wait to you put it in effect and let us know how it goes!!!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just make sure that you glue that top saucer on to the pot and use a bit smaller bulb. I've done something close to that by using cinder blocks and a paving block on top. I used a small 40wt incandescent bulb in mine during the worst of the cold in winter(Michigan here) and it kept the water liquid enuf.. but even as heavy as my paving block was the chickens knocked it over a couple times so I put a bit of that cement caulk on there to hold it in place.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good idea.

My aunt in Colorado used the 25 watt bulb in a cookie tin for a heater for many years, too. I currently use a heat dog water dish, maybe 80 watts? Bugs me when I know 25 watts would do it, BUT our plates are pretty full right now. Maybe next year...or next weekend.. :D