Chicken with a poopy butt

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Should I be concerned?

I jsut went outside to look for eggs and found one of my EEers out enjoying the grass :rolleyes:

When I picked her up to put her back into the run I noticed that her backside was wet...I looked and she was a bit messy!

I have never noticed this on any of my chickens and wonder if this is something to be worried about.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
find an old container, fill it with warm water and wash her tooshie. Perfectly normal for chickens to have poopy butts. Normally, they will dust bath, it will dry up and crumble off, but i like to keep my girls clean and they like the "soak in the tub". She jsut had a runny one that dripped on her.

have fun!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh yeah Miss North...that does sound like fun....NOT! :gig

I am glad that is not a sign of a problem.....all of the sudden the fact that I know NOTHING about chickens threw me into a panic!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Make sure it is just a small amount of normal poo, though -- rather than diarrhea (could result from a number of things) or a messy butt from having a partial prolapse or other egglaying mishap. Both of which you'd want to be on top of. Er, so to speak :p

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok...I am keeping an eye on her....going out to check shortly.

I often put a little ACV in their water should I continue or switch to a little molasses?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My granny always said the best layers had the poopiest butts! :D At any given time I have several poopy butts on my land...comes with eating anything they find out there. :p Doesn't last long and they usually groom it away.