Chicken wormer

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What kind of wormer do you guys recommend for chickens and how do you use it?

I've been getting less eggs than normal lately and found worms in some droppings. I think they were round worms, but i would like something broad spectrum. The manure gets composted for garden use if that makes a difference

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy something at TSC that requires NO egg destroying. It's a small pellet, with measurer in bag...add to their regular pellet feed. Don't remember exact price but somewhere in the 8-12 range -- lasts a long time. Strike III by Durvet. Comes in a little resealable bag. I use it 2 days in a row bout every 6 wks in the warm weather season. Went to barn & got you a picture.

0617171628.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You can also go with Safeguard liquid goat wormer. The Safeguard is a much better wormer than the Ivermectin, which can also be used for poultry.

Administer orally undiluted, use a syringe without a needle. Dosage is orally 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose again in 10 days so you clean out any new worms that hatched from eggs after you killed the existing load. There's a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish. Some residue will be in the eggs, it's up to you if you want to eat the eggs or discard them. I eat them and I haven't had any problems… And I haven't had a problem with worms either :p Just don't incubate the eggs. Some dewormers' residue in eggs cause problems with the chicks' development.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can also go with Safeguard liquid goat wormer. The Safeguard is a much better wormer than the Ivermectin, which can also be used for poultry.

Administer orally undiluted, use a syringe without a needle. Dosage is orally 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose again in 10 days so you clean out any new worms that hatched from eggs after you killed the existing load. There's a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish. Some residue will be in the eggs, it's up to you if you want to eat the eggs or discard them. I eat them and I haven't had any problems… And I haven't had a problem with worms either :p Just don't incubate the eggs. Some dewormers' residue in eggs cause problems with the chicks' development.

I wonder if i could feed the raw eggs to the dogs and worm them too? :D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Two birds with one stone? lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And, my chicken always eat the goat poop (or at least peck through it) so I wonder if they're getting wormed when the goats do? :hu

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wonder if the compost gets hot enough or if you wait long enough, will the wormer chemical disperse where 8t wont harm all the good microbes in soil?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

How much for a 40lb dog?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That I'm afraid I can't tell you. I haven't had a dog since my teens. You should ask your vet for recommendations for dog dewormers. Some products can safely be used across species, like goat dewormers for poultry, but some may not be suitable to use on dogs for example.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just left tractorsupply looking for safeguard liquid. The site said they had it in stock. The kids didnt know what i was talking about. Like everytime before.

Ill order it online. Never going back to tsc