Chiggers from clothesline dryed clothes?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello, I am a former lurker to this forum (I post pretty regularly on BYC & TEC). I have recently started hanging my clothes out on a line, which I love :love

This evening though, I started noticing red bite marks all over my waistline after putting on a pair of my comfy clothes that I always put on after work. They were line-dryed & I was wondering if chiggers can get on your clothes? They don't appear to be skeeter bites, but chigger bites...any advice or info? Thanks! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Never heard of that but I'm sure its possible somehow. Although chiggers don't fly and mostly reside in high weeds and wooded areas.

Here's a question....are the bites all in sort of a row and kind of joined together? I've had fuzzy worms~ that had dropped from the trees~ be hiding in clothing . Those suckers can sting you and you don't even realize it until later and the places sting and itch for a long while.

ETA Welcome to the forum! :)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, welcome to the group. I've not heard of chiggers in line-dried clothing before either. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen though. From what I've read, you could treat the area around the clothesline with powdered sulphur as they do not like it.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
Chiggers :ep what are chiggers?
LOL Redbug - little bitty tiny almost can't see them at all red bug. They reside in grass and weeds and when you walk through they hitch a ride. When they come into contact with your skin they hunker down, and burrow in. Cause little red itchy bumps. Kind of like a tick but a lot smaller.

I have gotten redugs from my dog before but never from clothes on the line. However, not sure if they can do like spiders and catch a ride with the wind. I would guess maybe you got them while hanging out the clothes or either getting the clothes off the line. One other possibility would be that a dog or some other animal brushed up against your clothes while they were on the line and left you a present.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: I hate chiggers....

on the clothesline? not sure if they can get up there????LOL

did you change laundry soaps or anything like that? I just don't know...LOL---only around your waistline? No where else? Just seems strange?????

I am having stupid spiders on the line now and ants are hitching a ride along the line.....before I hang I twang the line real hard and hopefully all fall off..HA HA HA

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Eekk! They sound awful! We don't have them here but they do sound simular to scabies mite, that also burrows and bites and multiplies!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Not only do we have chiggers in weeds and tall grass, but they are on landscaping rock, the concrete pool deck and the driveway. We have them really bad for about 3 weeks, and then they seem to die down.

Don't sit on any of these! They love hot surfaces.

I've never even thought about them being on a clothesline.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm...well the mystery continues. I know it was from the black pair of shorts I put on, cuz as soon as I changed, no more bites. Maybe there was some other type of bug? All I do know is that those shorts are currently in the hot wash! Thanks for all the advice and sorry for the confusion, I always forget that in different parts of the country the terms used are different :lol:

Thank you for the warm welcome :frow

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
Thanks for all the advice and sorry for the confusion, I always forget that in different parts of the country the terms used are different :lol:

Thank you for the warm welcome :frow
I'm, in a different part of the world and am truely grateful after reading about these blighters that we don't have them!