Church Cook/Recipe Books

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my favorite cookbooks is The Cotton Country Collection presented by the Junior Charity League of Monroe, Louisiana. Quite a large book compared to a lot of those "church cookbooks." Our favorite chili recipe came from it.

My ex brought it home from one of his work trips. I wore out the first copy and was thrilled to find it online.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@FarmerJamie I was reading threads on TEG and saw this posted by Ridgerunner. (Emphasis mine)

In Arkansas my wife and I ran the book section in a charity thrift shop. Most of the books we got were from people moving, kids leaving home, or someone dying. We got a lot that were left over from yard sales. It varied by season but we probably averaged six or seven boxes of books a week. Those books covered every topic under the sun, from romances to a Swedish legal dictionary. Cookbooks were big, especially those one that different churches or organisations put together.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a 1973 revised Culinary Arts Institute "encyclopedic cookbook". There were NO quick fixes in this one, save maybe a can of evaporated milk. What is nice about it (if you have time to read that much!) is the full explanations as to why/how/what that you could use -- how to make substitutions, why not knead too much, cold vs hot, what makes it not gel/thicken, etc. Excellent recipes but, a real "teaching" to cook book. It's large & heavy...:D Nothing like my quick foods to prepare in a camper one. :lol:

What's nice about the church type is that you get a real good compilation of the dishes so many love -- all in one place.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have lived in my current place for 4 1/2 years and am still looking for my box with cookbooks and recipes in it. DH says he saw it once, so it did make the move. I really need to carve out a space for me in this house. I have a couple of church cookbooks, but I am not going to buy any more cookbooks until I have a place to put them.