1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plastic up the porch - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning ball caps, help please!

Discussion in 'Everything Else Homestead Living' started by milkmansdaughter, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Feb 20, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

Hi All,
    My husband's work (baseball style) caps are filthy and need to be cleaned, but I don't know if they are machine washable or what material the brim is made out of. The caps are black with red and white stitching. I'd really appreciate advice on cleaning them! Thanks! 1519143878871347938874.jpg

2. Feb 20, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

I put my husband's in the washer but not the dryer. They've survived so far! My brother had this plastic thing that you could put it in, and put it in the dishwasher and it would help hold the shape. That was back in high school, no idea if the things still exist!

3. Feb 20, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

Yes, @NH Homesteader I've seen those plastic things too, but don't have one. I'd throw an old hat in the washer and have done so, but not these. He HAS to wear these for work, so I don't want to take a chance.
    It's been raining here for weeks, but today, the windows are open and the sun is shining, the attic fan is pulling clean fresh DRY air through the house, and I'm CLEANING! :celebrateI can hang the hat on the deck out of the sun, and I know it will dry. I was just wondering if anyone has any favorite tips. Thanks though. Wash machine would be my usual method too.:)

4. Feb 20, 2018
    TexasLisa

TexasLisa Almost Self-Reliant

Milkmansdaughter, I have washed my husband's hats in the dishwasher and the washer. To dry them, I put them over a Cool Whip bowl or something that fits the hat and then line dry them.

Good luck!

5. Feb 20, 2018
    moxies_chickennuggets

moxies_chickennuggets Almost Self-Reliant

I used to wash them all the time...I get a dishpan...pour in hot water from the tap. I use a little 20 mule team borax, if any on hand. Toss in a small piece of Fels Naptha soap too. Let soak till water cools off. Then scrub with the Fels and a nail brush. It gets the grime off the inside band and the round in dirt off the top and bottom of the visor. Rinse till water runs clear. Then hang out to drip dry...or....hang in the shower for same results. I have been hand washing several ball caps for 7 years now...as DH works in a foundry in the machine shop. Lots and lots of black iron dust and oils and chemicals :ep:sick

milkmansdaughter likes this.
  6. Feb 20, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

I think it might be safest to wash by hand; that way you can stop scrubbing if it looks like the stitching is disintegrating. I threw a cap of DH's in the washing machine years ago and it completely fell apart. I don't think he has completely forgiven me yet- and that was 30 years ago.

7. Feb 21, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I soak them over night, the scrub as already posted. Wrap in a towel to get the excess water out.

8. Feb 21, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

Thanks everyone! I too have ruined a few over the years in the wash machine... :)