Cleaning ball caps, help please!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi All,
My husband's work (baseball style) caps are filthy and need to be cleaned, but I don't know if they are machine washable or what material the brim is made out of. The caps are black with red and white stitching. I'd really appreciate advice on cleaning them! Thanks!
1519143878871347938874.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I put my husband's in the washer but not the dryer. They've survived so far! My brother had this plastic thing that you could put it in, and put it in the dishwasher and it would help hold the shape. That was back in high school, no idea if the things still exist!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, @NH Homesteader I've seen those plastic things too, but don't have one. I'd throw an old hat in the washer and have done so, but not these. He HAS to wear these for work, so I don't want to take a chance.
It's been raining here for weeks, but today, the windows are open and the sun is shining, the attic fan is pulling clean fresh DRY air through the house, and I'm CLEANING! :celebrateI can hang the hat on the deck out of the sun, and I know it will dry. I was just wondering if anyone has any favorite tips. Thanks though. Wash machine would be my usual method too.:)

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Milkmansdaughter, I have washed my husband's hats in the dishwasher and the washer. To dry them, I put them over a Cool Whip bowl or something that fits the hat and then line dry them.

Good luck!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to wash them all the time...I get a dishpan...pour in hot water from the tap. I use a little 20 mule team borax, if any on hand. Toss in a small piece of Fels Naptha soap too. Let soak till water cools off. Then scrub with the Fels and a nail brush. It gets the grime off the inside band and the round in dirt off the top and bottom of the visor. Rinse till water runs clear. Then hang out to drip dry...or....hang in the shower for same results. I have been hand washing several ball caps for 7 years now...as DH works in a foundry in the machine shop. Lots and lots of black iron dust and oils and chemicals :ep:sick

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it might be safest to wash by hand; that way you can stop scrubbing if it looks like the stitching is disintegrating. I threw a cap of DH's in the washing machine years ago and it completely fell apart. I don't think he has completely forgiven me yet- and that was 30 years ago.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I soak them over night, the scrub as already posted. Wrap in a towel to get the excess water out.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I too have ruined a few over the years in the wash machine... :)