Clip Cut or copy

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
If we can ever figure out how to grow salt, sugar, flour, coffee and beer, we would NEVER have to go to the store!! :gig
Salt: see my salt-from-seawater thread
Sugar: see any of the several maple syrup and honey bee threads
Flour: don't know if there is a thread, but some have experimented with growing grains, and many grind grains into flour
Coffee: can't help ya, but there are a few tea threads!
Beer: never made beer, but isn't it just malted/fermented barley and hops, both can be grown easily? Or wine can be made from so many things....even weeds, like dandelions.

:gig

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: I knew someone was going to straighten SKR8PN out on that one. Figure it's Free.

I thought for sure you would be making beer by now SKR8PN. ;) I did do pears and peaches last spring. I will do them this year as well. The family loved them.

gina

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we dont coupon anymore either... i realized that we now dont use most of that stuff.. and the soaps/cleaners that we use can be bought at the Dollar Store. i love going there - i always ask "how much is this? answer: a dollar" i could do it all day.

anyway - grow what you eat, eat what you grow, and nothing gets wasted.

i know a family who makes a different meal for each child - they might as well throw their money in the street, such waste! my hubby had to learn that leftover were food and he was going to eat them.

another big lesson was: eat what you have, not what you want.

instead of coupons, i use the store cards and use their coupons that are mailed directly to us. obviously they track what you buy - but then they send you savings on those things. i usually get ice cream for free and how great is that?!

we also have 10 for $10 around here in the grocery stores...and we stock up. for instance tonite we had nachos and everything (but the meat - our pork of course) came off the 10 for $10 sale (at different times). re-fried beans, cheese, bag of frozen peppers, sour cream etc... all $1 each.

and you might have to change what you eat. for instance, as others have said, prepackaged or boxed stuff actually is really expensive so avoid them and make your own. also consider what you are drinking. soda is super expensive even if you get it on sale. at our house you can have water, our goat's milk, or tequila and thats about it. (that same family is always shocked that we dont have juice drinks, sports drinks, or 100 different kinds of soda)

can you trade your eggs for other things? bake your own bread? make your own tortillas? make a big quiche?

there are lots of creative sites for how to reduce your food bill but by far the easiest is to grow your own. wow what i'd give for a year round growing season. have you checked out sunset magazine? they have gardening info even for tropical regions (you're in hawaii, right?)

good luck!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
freemotion said:
SKR8PN said:
If we can ever figure out how to grow salt, sugar, flour, coffee and beer, we would NEVER have to go to the store!! :gig
Salt: see my salt-from-seawater thread
Sugar: see any of the several maple syrup and honey bee threads
Flour: don't know if there is a thread, but some have experimented with growing grains, and many grind grains into flour
Coffee: can't help ya, but there are a few tea threads!
Beer: never made beer, but isn't it just malted/fermented barley and hops, both can be grown easily? Or wine can be made from so many things....even weeds, like dandelions.

:gig
10,000 comedians out of work and Free has to make funnies. :lol: :gig

I don't live anywhere near an ocean, so sea salt is out.
I have 5 gallons of honey and 2 gallons of maple syrup(home made) in inventory.
We also have 5 or 6 gallons of flour in stock. It is a really a PITA to grind my own. Besides, that would cut into my beer drinking time.
Coffee we just buy a boatload of when it is on sale.
coffeebath.gif

I do make my own wine, but I just don't have time for fermenting malt. I really like the taste of Coors Light in a bottle. It is one of my little sins and I don't think I will live long enough to replicate their recipe.
pop.gif