closed canopy organic gardening is food forest prep

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting ... I need to read more to understand the reasoning. M garden turned out somewhat like that -- not at all the variety, but my paths almost disappeared from the plants getting MUCH bigger than I expected!

I had decided to make my rows twice as wide this year. Which of course means, if nothing else, that I can't plant as much in the same amount of space.

I'll have to hurry ... As soon as these icy days pass it's probably time to start working. :weee

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
In Science there is an idiom that states 'Nature abhors a vacuum'. The idea is that empty or unfilled spaces are unnatural as they go against the laws of nature and physics.

Gardening is like that. Open soil WILL be covered. Weeds will take root in any available space that provides enough moisture and light. In order to have a well functioning garden we need to fill those spaces with either preferred plants or mulch.

Fill all of the vacuums and you will have an easy time gardening. ;) :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My girlfriend grew a very small garden one year that somply astounded me...her plants were very close together and there really was no room for weeds. She had more veggies come out of that tiny garden than i ever thought possible! It does work!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Paul, I just had a chance to view this. What a cute video and a cute man.

I'm following along in my new permaculture manuals. :)