coal oil/lamp oil

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Where do you buy it at a reasonable price? I have found a few places, but $25 a gallon sounds excessive.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We buy ours at the local gas station...out here they still sell it where you can pump it into a gas can and tote it home.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We buy ours at the local gas station...out here they still sell it where you can pump it it into a gas can and tote it home.
Yeah you mean kerosene. I'm talking about the lamp oil though. There is only a slight difference, but it burns cleaner and doesn't leave a bunch of soot behind. It's more refined. I'm thinking there is a reason most folks use kerosene in their lamps :lol: Everywhere I have looked the better oil is HIGH and I can get kerosene cheaper than gasoline so guess which one i'll get :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OH! I didn't really know they had refined kerosene! Shows the hay sticking out from under my hat, huh? :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
OH! I didn't really know they had refined kerosene! Shows the hay sticking out from under my hat, huh? :p
:lol: If'n it makes ya feel better I din't either till I googlified it :lol: Who knew? Not us! :p

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Well kerosene runs all the way from deasel thru jet fuel and into rocket fuel. K2 grade kerosene is often used for space heaters here in the south where the weather is generally mild and people will light off a kerosene heater to make it thru the night. It was the fuel also used in tobacco curing barns before propane pretty much displaced it, many a young lad were up all night tending the kerosine heaters because if they were too high the barn burned down, too low and soot would be produced and you can't even give away sooty tobacco. used to be that most gas stations had a tank of k2 karosine usually around back so no dumb yankee would try to use it for gas. Lamp oil is either produced from low sulfur oil or was processed to remove the sulfur which produces the stink and much of the soot, so it will be a bit more expensive, maybe 5 dollars/gallon tops. $25/gallon is a gross rip off however you are paying for fancy scents and packaging. I recently replaced the lamp oil that I had used I got 64 ounce CAN for $2+tax. The supplier insisted on the can for shipping safety purposes and it could not be shipped by air even then.~gd