Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I resumed my farm duties. I can walk outside without the walker now. I just go slow and careful. I’ve been feeding the dogs for a couple weeks and fed sheep a few times. Chris has been a God send, a HUGE help! I’m grateful. I planned on using these past weeks to heal and it’s going according to plan LOL. I’m real happy with my progress, still a ways to go, but I’m doing good.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
This has been an interesting day. If the prevailing winds were about 15 degrees in direction to the south we would be getting western New York's multiple feet snowfall. Despite that, we have 6-9 inches predicted overnight. We got blasted yesterday unexpected, so I took the opportunity on a sunny day to get shopping done for the week.

Shopping was an adventure. Got in line behind an older gentleman who was really flustered trying to check out. The cashier was awesome and we had him laughing and smiling at the end. Lady behind me was being a grumpy butt, but my lighthearted banter put her on notice I would not tolerate any complaints.

On the way home (four lane divided highway), an SUV ahead of me lost control, went off the road, and rolled several times, ending up on the roof. Single vehicle involved. I was one of 10 cars stopping to help. I watched for oncoming traffic while 3 guys pulled the driver out (only person). Luckily, he was walking and talking fine when I left. People were still stopping to help when I left.

Finally, made one more stop and found a cellphone in the parking lot. Turned it in at the customer service desk. Was checking out, when the phone owner came in frantic. Cashier gave it to her and pointed me out for turning it in. She was so happy.

Wife is all set for her comfort needs now as her procedure recovery is painful and stressful. Made pumpkin bread this morning.

Am happy and thankful I made a difference today

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are HOME. Finally HOME here in Washington state.

I cried on Wednesday nite when we returned to Medford OR. The deer have destroyed my plantings. The house was cold and empty. I forgot to bring a reading light, my ear plugs and book. I was stuck in sadness and then had a horrible nite trying to sleep.

On Thursday, hubs woke up sick sick sick. He stayed in bed (air bed that leaks) until 4. So I ran errands, spent $200 buying things at the feed store for chickens etc (no sales tax in OR), and some clearance stuff at Wallys. Came home and started cleaning room by room. Mind you, the house is empty, but after 6 months on the real estate market it had gotten dusty and buggy.

Friday we got up early, he packed the car, I cleaned three of the four bathrooms for the final time, wiped down countertops, etc. Then he vacuumed until I told him WE HAVE TO LEAVE. Never got all the floors mopped. Raced to the Title company, signed the papers for the sale, got my McD's large black coffee and homeward bound we went. The house closed escrow in the afternoon, so I cancelled the house insurance.

What I will miss: the views and the golfers and the kitchen.
What I won't miss: the smoke, the heat, the cost of water and the DAMN DEER. There were 14 of them waiting right outside our yard on Thursday nite. Deer poop all over the back yard. GRRRRRR

We are home. Chickens, huge garden, only 1 deer so far, a coyote and a fenced 2.6 acres for dogs to run. Fruit trees. And now money to pay off the mortgage and still have leftover to add a BBQ area, build a carport, and cover the deck with some roofing.

HOME, for as long as I can be healthy and happy here.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My antique egg basket. One made like it today would be all welds. It's wired together. Yes, I use it everyday.

20230917_120601.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it was a nice Christmas, the drive was safe getting there and coming back and then as usual it also feels good to be back home.

i got to play with a 2yr old golden retriever hyper puppy yesterday. yes, we played fetch. she is not a deep thinker, but also happy and not much into barking which was really nice. :) at one point we were wrestling, playing, tickling and she was slobbering all over my ears. very funny... :)

Mom decided at the last minute to stay home so it was strange for me to go without her but it let her stay home and get some rest as she's had a cough and a cold and just didn't want to be around other people. so i snagged leftovers for her and the ham bone and juices to make bean soup. all is ok.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
As 2023 comes to a close, I want to thank each and every one of you for being here virtually. You provide a safe place to vent, celebrate, and express hope for the future. The past year brought us all some rough challenges and I am certain we will get our share in 2024.

Looking forward to the journey with all of you.