Cold Cellars

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello all I am going to revive this thread because I am looking for info...

I need to figure out the best way to store my bounty of winter squashes this year. Unfortunately I don't have a root cellar. I don't even have a basement. I do have a garage under my house. I currently have my canning stored in the only corner that is two block walls backed with earth. It stays relatively cool, unless someone forgets to close the garage door. Then things warm up a bit. I am trying to convince dh to let me block in a room. But the ventilation would be an issue.

I have a gazillion squash to store. I have heard they can not touch, my Auntie says the Amish wrap in paper. What am I gong to do with all my stuff? I don't want mice and rats crawling on them. I am thinking some kind of Rubber maid tub with a hole covered in screen for ventilation. but then I would need to stack them.

Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Morel, that cellar was in your farm house right? You still looking to move from the new place? Any luck??

Bee, how is your cellar? Did you get the gravel down?

gina

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
You would need to do a search for the details, but I have posted on here about my friend doing a bleach-water wash for squash. It kills all surface bacteria, gets cured and then lasts until spring, literally. I believe the ratio of water to bleach is 10:1, but a search will verify that. Good luck!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Tanks,
Yes, that cellar was in the old house, I don't have any place here that would even remotely serve as cold storage. Be careful about using the garage if you use it for vehicles, but otherwaise you should be able to square off a room on an outside wall and ventelate it fairly easily using two pipes, one for intake the other output. There are places online that will show you how it can be done.
As for moving from here I am very frustrated! Ahhh, but that is another story!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I need to figure out the best way to store my bounty of winter squashes this year. Unfortunately I don't have a root cellar. I don't even have a basement. I do have a garage under my house. I currently have my canning stored in the only corner that is two block walls backed with earth. It stays relatively cool, unless someone forgets to close the garage door.
Bear in mind that winter squash need warmer and drier storage than pretty much any other storage veg. Do you know what your temps and rel humidity tends to run, there in the garage?

Under the bed (in the house) is a traditional storage place for 'em :p

If you *did* store them in the garage, one good way of minimizing mouse damage is to hang them from the rafters, in nets or on hanging shelves.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts