Comfrey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has anyone grown comfrey for livestock feed or fertilizer? From what I've read it's great at soil building because of deep tap roots. It's leaves can be used as mulch and you can make a compost tea from it.

A couple of years ago I ordered some roots and planted them in big tubs. They came up well and every now and then I'd tear off a couple of leaves for the goats or chickens. They both would eat it readily. I read today that pigs love it too.

I think it's time for me to try and utilize the comfrey even more than just for an occasional treat for the critters. I want to divide some of my roots and plant them in a sectioned off area of pasture and see what happens. While I have pasture area for my critters, it's mostly native grasses and some invasive weeds and some browse along the fence lines and around a small pond in the back. I think comfrey would make a good addition.

It also has some medicinal qualities that I need to do more research on.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes. I did. I planted some back in 2012, and it flourished!!...till I added manure. Even though it was composted, the manure must have been too much nitrogen. They all dies and didn't come back :hit:hit:hit

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We used to grow it in S.A. It's wonderful stuff! You can make a tea with it to use as fertiliser (be warned: it smells almost exactly like… poop) and it's a great compost activator as well. You can pour some of the tea over your compost heap to boost things there a bit.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use it for medicinals. You do have to be careful not to take too much internally; there was a case several years ago where a woman died from using it too much. How much is too much? Your guess is as good as mine, so I primarily use it in external applications. I grow it in a planter box because it spreads so readily and I don't have enough room to tolerate that sort of behavior.

As far as animal use- I've just used it for the occasional treat.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Britesea - When I purchased my roots I made sure to get the kind that doesn't spread. I think it's called Bocking 14.
I've also heard the warnings, but until your report, had never heard of anything that was substantiated. I think it's wise to use anything in moderation.

It's higher in protein than alfalfa! But, I will still use it sparingly.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the deer eat it. i'm not sure if the rabbits do too. i just moved it from where it was originally planted to help spread it out more. if it can grow well enough to crowd out other things i'll be happy. i suspect though that the deer will keep eating it...