Companion Planting for potatoes

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know we recently had a companion planting and rotating thread but didn't want to hijack.

Can't do much gardening this year and I'm already behind. Our soil is basically sand so while we compost our chicken poo, I'm continuing with my long-used method of container gardening. I have some plastic kiddie pools, and plan to use one for potatoes. I hate planting anything by itself.

What is a great companion for potatoes, that's easy to grow in under 85 days?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
I know we recently had a companion planting and rotating thread but didn't want to hijack.

Can't do much gardening this year and I'm already behind. Our soil is basically sand so while we compost our chicken poo, I'm continuing with my long-used method of container gardening. I have some plastic kiddie pools, and plan to use one for potatoes. I hate planting anything by itself.

What is a great companion for potatoes, that's easy to grow in under 85 days?
From my Big Book of Gardening Skills:
- I couldn't find anything that improved growing, but several plants aid in potato beetle deterrence onions, garlic, marigolds, nasturtiums, snap beans, catnip, coriander.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nastertiums :). They are pretty and edible so they get my vote!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks!

Going seed shopping tomorrow!

I'll put the potatoes in, some bush beans, and surround with nasturtium seeds. Then set up the netting to keep the chickens out and give the nasturtiums places to wind through.

Yum... potatoes and beans. Delicious filling meal.