Composting paper

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hopefully you guys can set me straight on composting paper. I have googled it till I had a headache. I have read several times that it is completely safe, but then i also read that the ink can contain heavy metals and lead. How do I know if it is safe or not? And what about the paper itself? Paper plants are known for polluting rivers and streams, so if they do that in making paper then is the paper itself safe to compost for veggies that I will feed my kids? I really don't want to find out that something I do now caused cancer or something later on. I figured that maybe you guys would know for sure.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stay away from your shiny sale papers & glossy magazines. Most of your other paper products will be fine, newpaper (standard pages, not inserts usually) TP, paper towels, coffee filters, post it notes, etc.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have read several times that it is completely safe, but then i also read that the ink can contain heavy metals and lead.
Most inks are made of soy oil now.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I regularly compost tea bags, coffee filters, paper bags and newsprint. I also shred my used computer paper for my worm bin.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I shred paper of all kinds. It goes into my compost pile.
I also use paper or cardboard to line my plant containers, as it retains water and helps keep roots cool.

Just today, I was planting collards and worked in a bunch of bone soaked newsprint into the soil. This helps holds moisture and keeps the soil loose.