Composting

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sure there is ahelpful thread specifically on composting for beginners - but, I'm not finding it. We currently have compost bins that are stationary. I'm a woman who's getting up in years - so need to keep it as simple as possible. I can't begin to turn that compost. I've been thinking of getting a large, tumbling composter - because I have chickens, and so ~ lots of great manure. I could really use some advice, so I don't spin my wheels and waste my money

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom can only spin the one I gave her because I'd bought it for use originally and went to tons of stores checking how easy the tumbler moved on different one's. I then greased the wheels it turns on. Most of them suck. They are also only good if you don't have a ton of stuff to put in them.

I tend to just toss stuff in a pile and leave it. Or in winter I just toss in the garden. Stuff rots pretty fast here.

Trench composting in the garden is good. Don't have to move it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm sure there is ahelpful thread specifically on composting for beginners - but, I'm not finding it. We currently have compost bins that are stationary. I'm a woman who's getting up in years - so need to keep it as simple as possible. I can't begin to turn that compost. I've been thinking of getting a large, tumbling composter - because I have chickens, and so ~ lots of great manure. I could really use some advice, so I don't spin my wheels and waste my money

TEG might have a lot more on this topic, but generally i do not do compost piles, i do bury composting (as in dig a hole or trench and bury stuff), or i do worm composting (food scraps and other organic scraps).

it is very simple to me and i consider it more efficient in that i'm not fiddling with a compost pile.

we do have a weed pile but i've not done anything with it once i toss stuff on there because it gets very little action.

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TEG might have a lot more on this topic, but generally i do not do compost piles, i do bury composting (as in dig a hole or trench and bury stuff), or i do worm composting (food scraps and other organic scraps).

it is very simple to me and i consider it more efficient in that i'm not fiddling with a compost pile.

we do have a weed pile but i've not done anything with it once i toss stuff on there because it gets very little action.
For some reason I can't get onto TEG. Although, it's been a while. I'll try again 🤞