Confessions of a Carboholic

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Carbohydrates:

I was given some advice to read about carbohydrates and their evil sugar starchiness, what I found was not even remotely reasonable. I asked about pasta and rice and was told I'd die regardless if it were whole wheat or whitey. I then read all the boxes of things I eat all the time - pasta 43 carbs per serving, I eat half the box for one meal equaling 170 carbs, same is true for rice a roni - one box is a serving = 160 carbs. I also thought eating All Bran for breakfast was a good thing but it is 50 carbs per bowl for me, and white rice isn't much better at 70 carbs a plate.

Here's the deal, I have no problem eating chicken breast and fish but I need a side dish to go with the meats. It says i can't even have fruit which is just as well because it makes me run around like a goose. Not only that but all the vegetables I like are not good for me and suggests kale and collards - I have no idea what the heck those are, but am sure if they were tasty I would of known about them. I checked with Southern State Feed stores and they had the seeds but when asked none of the dudes had any idea what they were, I left without buying fearing that I would be hung on the nearest cottonwood tree.

I need ideas for side dishes and they have to be easy to implement into everyday meals to go with my tightly woven bacon thatched veal loaf smothered in maple bacon ice cream with a topping of lightly crumbled pork rinds. By the way my closet inexplicably shrinks my shirts and pants and am selling them all on eBay, I won't get as much for them as I did for my ex wife's clothes but then again I put those under circus tents.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope that carnivores diet works for you as well as the vegetarian diet works for others, Myself I will remain an omnivore. ~gd

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
~gd said:
I hope that carnivores diet works for you as well as the vegetarian diet works for others, Myself I will remain an omnivore. ~gd
Actually ~gd dude I've been reading a balance of salads and meat is best, I like both but still don't know what colored kale greens are is?

My problem is even though I cook all my meals from pseudo scratch they end up at a couple hundred of the bad carbs - I have 40 pounds that will prove it as gained over the winter.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Here ya go XPC.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/healthy-cooking/low-carb-diet/side-dishes/Main.aspx

Not all carbohydrates are created equal. Complete abstinence from carbohydrates is not a healthy choice in the long run.
Just sayin'.........
I looked at a bunch of those kinds of recipes and it seems like at least to me stuff that is not available, if you give me a nice butterface cook I will surely lose weight.

Yes you are right there are many carbs you need especially the ones that include fiber. I am normally a 190-210lb dude but put on a 40 pound winter coat that refuses to shed.

I guess that would be ok if I were Canadian as they like their blubber on walrus hoof so to speak.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
Rule of thumb XPC - if it tastes good - spit it out! If it looks good - throw it out! :lol:
Regrettably neither of those rules applied to my ex wives.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are not alone in this battle. I feel your pain. When I am being good, which is a relative term. I try to make one hot one cold vegges. Usually of different colors. It helps.

I still make some carbs for the family but try to cut the portion in half. Perhaps you could still have your rice and pasta but use products with high fiber. This will cut back on the net carbs per serving.

:idunno

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
You are not alone in this battle. I feel your pain. When I am being good, which is a relative term. I try to make one hot one cold vegges. Usually of different colors. It helps.

I still make some carbs for the family but try to cut the portion in half. Perhaps you could still have your rice and pasta but use products with high fiber. This will cut back on the net carbs per serving.

:idunno
That is my plan but still ca't find a decent side that doesn't include mustard greens - what the hell is mustard greens? is that like poke salad Annie?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
SKR8PN, there is no such thing as a NO CARB diet since even meat has some carbs. But there are people who live a very very low carb diet and do just fine. My diet is limited carbs...less than 50g per day.

THERE IS NO DIETARY NEED TO INTENTIONALLY INGEST CARBOHYDRATES. None. Zip. Zero.

There are a few organs in your body that do require glucose and your body is perfectly capable of producing glucose in the liver as needed if you are getting enough protein.

As for whole grains...I got super fat and developed high blood pressure on whole grains. Brown rice, All bran cereal, whole wheat bread....it's all just sugar in disguise.

First of all I strongly recommend getting a book like Protein Power Life Plan by Dr's Mike & Mary Eades or Natural Health and Weight Loss by Barry Groves. Without the books you can easily flail around, miss some very important concepts (like the importance of healthy fats and what those actually are) and end up making youself miserable.

Second of all, there are loads of tasty veggie side dishes out there. Cauliflower baked with pepperjack, green beans and bacon, etc... Here is a great site with low carb recipes...
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
(I met her on a low carb forum and really like her recipe reviews)

Also, here is my low carb column...
http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denver-Low-Carb-Examiner

This way of eating IS NOT some slog through life deprived. Seriously. It is about recognizing the reality that carbs = sugar and eating 3-4 cups of sugar a day is NOT HEALTHY regardless if your body absorbs it quickly or slowly.

As for fruit, I eat fruit. Just not all the time and I focus on berries. They tend to be lower in sugar and higher in nutrition. I also occasinally have apples and melons. I just have to eat them with some protein and fat so I don't get a blood sugar swing.

Latest posts