Congratulations you went crazy with me

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ok so if you were reading my journal and found me just bear with me. I want a side business because I want my own place and my current job is not conducive to getting said thing. I want animals frankly because I'm tired of people and they're cuddly and cute...the animals, not people....in general. So I talked to a buddy who is raising feeder mice, and hedgehogs, and naked cats, and little things. Not exactly "farm" animals but they kind of have a farm too so if it's raised on a farm and it's an animal...well...ya see where that's going? Anyway, I got to thinking I don't have to muck through duck poop and goat pellets to do what I love...raise and breed animals for profit(not strictly for profit I'm not that hard up for money) and as a hobby. I have limits because of my space/time constraints, and I want something small, maybe even tiny, but not arachnid or reptilian at this time...maybe small rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils....fancy schmancy little things with pedigrees that will sell decent at shows but I can't settle on what I should get. I'm sort of a beginner with small rodent type animals besides rabbits.....maybe flying squirrels or no not ferrets they smell horrific no matter what you do. So I don't continue to ramble let me just ask, does anyone else do this? What do you have? How difficult is it to raise? What's the estimated space needed? Overhead estimate? Eventually I'd like to make this a full time gig, so would like to leave room for expansion and I do NOT want to own a pet shop. I don't want fish. I do t want anything that eats like a goat, and I don't want say English Lops that are complicated by ear issues. I want hardy, small, fuzzy, show quality, good pedigree balls of fluff and fun that people actually are interested in buying lol tall order? Maybe, but it's just an idea that's in my head to occupy my entrepreneurial spirit.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We never made much with raising pet rats. Even with us selling the blue ones back when the color first appeared. It was pure hobby as we barely made enough to cover food.

I haven't done rabbits, but I've heard it's just as bad as chickens with cost of going to shows.

I've decided I won't do anymore chicken shows. This giant mutation that popped up in my silkies is too good to pass up since we don't have the big ones in the US. So I'm going to concentrate on breeding large fowl silkies and hope in the future it will eventually pay off.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Cool on the LF Sillies!! I don't want to do rats lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Rabbits are tough to sell for decent prices.

I hear hedgehogs sell fast, but I'm not immersed in exotics to be a good source of intell.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Guinea pigs? (Excuse me, cavies, for show people). Like rabbits you can eat your culls? No idea what the market is like for them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah my friends is selling hedgehogs faster than she can breed them. They said rabbits, like dwarf hotots were going for $60 each and good lion heads were selling for $75-100 at the Nashville show, and even bad rabbits were selling for high prices

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd start with Standard Rex's since they are scarce around here and people are actually asking for them.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My MIL used to raise guinea pigs. She was responsible (both solo and working with another) for 3 or 4 new breeds. You can eat the culls (very nice with Shake n Bake). They need to be protected from cold and heat, like rabbits. They can die with great facility otherwise. Their litter makes excellent compost.

She made pretty good money with them. Paid for more than one family vacation

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't know. I really haven't made up my mind yet. Can't settle on one thing/breed anyway but I'd be interested in doing a few shows a month since my weekends are no longer filled with anything anyway. I was working weekends, but haven't in a month or so and don't have excess money to go out since the construction job ended so....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think I could bring myself to eat a guinea pig under very many circumstances at all, with or without shake and bake lol