containers instead of baggies

suenrob

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have been using canvas bags for shopping to use less plastic bags. I never even thought about all the baggies I use packing my husbands lunches!

Yesterday in the dollar store I bought 3 sandwich containers for 1.00

Not only with these help the environment, they will keep me from having to buy baggies!!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I discovered that about 1 year ago. I used ziplocs for Tonys and Nicole's lunches and they are pricey!

I bought all reuseable tupperware things, sandwich containers, very small containers for a few grapes, bigger screw tops for liquids I might send (like maple syrup to dip if I send french toast or something)

Absolutely....great money saving and plastic savings!

I have been cutting back to reusable instead of disposable anywhere I can!!!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I started using the sandwich containers a few years ago. I also pack the kids grapes and stuff like that in them.
The sandwiches also don't get squished in them.
One of my son's usually takes a salad and sandwhich to school every day for lunch along with carrots,grapes ,watermelon something like that and I use all plastic containers.They fit perfectly in those insulated lunch bags.
I am not crazy about using plastic either since I hear so much about it ( I never heat food in them) but its still a better option that using plastic bags.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also have been sending reusable containers in my kids, DH, and my own lunches for years!! It is great!
Now if we could only figure out a way to make sure by younger boys lunch boxes get home everyday!! :p

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This didn't work so great for me with DH. He always lost them or forgot them or left them somewhere. :rolleyes:

I do it with the kids because even when they leave them at school, I eventually get them back.....

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried using them, probably will again when we get moved into the new place. It gets kinda :sick when hubby takes them to work in his lunch leaves them they a week and then returns them to be washed. Normally he never even rinsed them out and they are growing stuff. SO they end up in the bin just like bags would, major waste and I got tired of buying them over and over.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Nightshade.........sounds to me like your hubby needs a little more training. :lol:

The Wife has been using plastic containers to take her lunch to work in for quite awhile now. We still use a LOT of the ziploc 1 gallon freezer bags for storing stuff in the freezer though.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just stick to tuppeware type containers cause I have tons of them. I have the sandwich shape ones and they keep the contents from getting squished. I like that.

I weaned off the plastic bags, what a waste of money..LOL

For liquid stuff, you can't beat the tupperware containers but this would be good for a sandwich that isn't messy I guess.

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
does anyone reuse milk bags?
i love them just cut off the top turn inside out and rinse. you now have a perfect sandwich sized bag that is sturdy enought o be reused again and again!!!