Convection oven saves energy?

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does a convection oven save more energy than q regular conventional oven, or does It just cook fast cause It uses more energy in a shorter amount of time?

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not sure but I don't think they do. I bought one and returned it. It didn't seem to cook that much faster or more evenly. I supposed if they did all ovens would all be convection ovens. I may have just gotten a bad one. Don't remember the brand but at bought it at Sears. I know microwaves use less energy. ;)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm interesting thought!
I'll be curious to see what people say about this one...

I unplug big power-suckers like the oven when they're not in use, that helps too. I think some stuff sucks like 40% power even in the resting position. :barnie

BetterHensandGardens

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Convection ovens continually circulate heated air, thereby reducing cooking time and using an average of 20% less energy than conventional ovens.

We have one, and I generally have to use 25 degrees less if I want to get it done in the same amount of time as conventional, or if I use the same temperature as conventional, then it's done in about 20% less time.

Either way, uses less energy than conventional. :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had one (got it used & later went out on me), but it worked more like a regular over & had a switch for the fan to work as convection. I really liked it because I was able to choose if I wanted it as convection or conventional. I usually only used the convection for cooking certain things like a roast or other meat & for dehydrating in the oven. I didn't really like using convection for other things like bread or cakes & stuff like that. So I was glad it wasn't solely convection. (unless of course all convection ovens have the switch, I don't know)

Like BH&G said, a convection probably does save some money & energy because of using a lower temp & sometimes less cooking time

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want convection but until my OLD oven dies no way I will replace it yet.

I bought a toaster oven for the counter. it saves me from turning on the big oven....in fact I hardly use the big oven anymore

why heat a big space when a small toaster oven does it for me in a smaller space right?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Convection ovens have been a staple in all restaurant kitchens for decades. Yes, they cook faster at a lower temperature, by moving the heated air around the interior, vs static heat that is not distributed.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your input! That is great advice!
I still cant decide what I am going to do...but since my oven is out I guess there will be no baking until I decide!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My microwave oven is dual microwave/convection. I hate the microwave for many reasons, and seldom use it. And have only used the convection a few times. I like the idea of convection, and I believe it does use less energy. But my oven is noisy - it makes the same noise while convection cooking as it does while microwaving - and I hate it. Microwaving for a minute, with that noise, is one thing; convection cooking for half an hour (or more), with the same noise, is another thing entirely. I don't know if a regular oven/convection oven is as loud, and annoying. I really only use it when I'm making a big dinner (like Thanksgiving), and need the extra cooking ability.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
My microwave oven is dual microwave/convection. I hate the microwave for many reasons, and seldom use it. And have only used the convection a few times. I like the idea of convection, and I believe it does use less energy. But my oven is noisy - it makes the same noise while convection cooking as it does while microwaving - and I hate it. Microwaving for a minute, with that noise, is one thing; convection cooking for half an hour (or more), with the same noise, is another thing entirely. I don't know if a regular oven/convection oven is as loud, and annoying. I really only use it when I'm making a big dinner (like Thanksgiving), and need the extra cooking ability.
I never thought about the noise factor...yes I sure hate the sound of my microwave, but when I only need it for 30 seconds its really not a big deal, but for an HOUR I think I owuld leave the house!!