Cooking a Goose

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just wondering.....has anyone cooked a goose?

I always wanted too but never did and was wondering if it is worth the effort for the taste. Is it delish and worth doing????

Just curious who has eaten a goose and if anything special should be done while cooking. I think it is time for me to try one.

TIA
Karen

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Same here. I was tempted several times throughout the years to buy a goose from the supermarket. Everytime I thought of it I would back out. I did eventually try my hand at cooking ducks and really liked it and was going to try goose but the market stopped selling them by then. I'm going to be raising a Christmas goose this year and I'm curious too as to how to do it and how it tastes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Ace

you sound just like me on this one....I picture the Christmas goose on the table also....but scared to take the dive in case it tastes bad or something..HA HA...never want to experiment on Christmas dinner. I am chicken..HA HA

Yes I cook duck also. Not often, but I love the taste so I figure a goose shouldn't be far off (?)---but would love to hear from someone who tried one and can explain the taste. I just don't know anyone??

LOL

Should be interesting for us to try one over the holidays. Either 2 disasters or 2 wonderful, new memorable meals. :)

I haven't even seen one for sale in the market...hmm...LOL

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yup! That is why I wanted a goose. I've seen and heard so much about plump Christmas geese on the table from others and movies I'm curious to try it. I also love a good duck ala orange. I kinda figure too that it should have a taste close to duck.

Either way we probably will find out lol. I have recipes in a cookbook and been curious to try them out. My goslings arrive this week and if they don't get big enough by December I have an older extra brown chinese gosling that will be the back up plan.

We had them for a few years available at our local supermarket chain. They stopped selling them about 5 years ago along with duck.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea where is the Christmas goose in the supermarket. the world was taken over by turkeys I guess...LOL

well, DUH, I own a farm I guess I could get a goose from the sale paper and eat that. I just never "did" a goose but I figure it can't be any different than my chickens.

I am not a bird person. I even hate the chickens on the farm and Tony deals with them mostly. Birds are not my thing at all....LOL

When Tony hunts Dove I don't even get involved with them. He does all the cleaning and cooking of them....so maybe I could get him to handle my goose.

Yes, I always wanted that big fat goose on the table for Christmas also. Reminds me of Scrooge, when Tiny Tim's family gets the giant goose to eat...LOL...just seems to make it a "more old timey, sentimental" type holiday to me.

I guess I better google some cooking tips on this big bird? I better start to learn now but I guess it can't be far off a turkey..HAHA

should be interesting :)

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dad cooked one for Christmas one yr when I was growing up and none of us kids liked it. It's all dark meat and I thought it was kinda greasy.

Edited to add: I'm a white meat girl and it's hard to explain the taste as I have never eaten duck.

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I guess I better google some cooking tips on this big bird? I better start to learn now but I guess it can't be far off a turkey..HAHA

should be interesting :)
Hehe... I'm a big bird person! I have just about everything in the size range of quail to geese on my farm. And Turkeys are soon... to take over my farm too! They just don't stop! They're everywhere!

If you can't handle the birds then all means get someone else to. One or two geese shouldn't be too much trouble to keep up to butcher time. My goslings have been playful and sweet with me.

LOL I was thinking of that scene too in Scrooge.

I sent a PM to Miss Prissy and see what advice she can give on goose for supper.

nccountrygirl said:
My dad cooked one for Christmas one yr when I was growing up and none of us kids liked it. It's all dark meat and I thought it was kinda greasy.

Edited to add: I'm a white meat girl and it's hard to explain the taste as I have never eaten duck.
That sounds a lot like duck then. It's dark and greasy. I got some muscovey ducks for the fact that I hear they are less greasy when cooked.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
NCcountrygal

hmm...maybe a trial run would be a smart thing to try before Christmas dinner.
Better to experiment now than later and give me a chance to see what I can do with this bird.
thanks!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi Ace

you're a bird person...lol...and I am the opposite...lol

I didn't even like the parakeet my parents bought us kids when younger :)

Do you raise birds to sell? Did you ever have pheasants?

just wondering cause the one bird I might have is a pheasant but I have been putting off getting a couple. Still on the fence..HA HA

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Pheasants are something I would love to have! I tried to hatch eggs unsuccessfully this year and by the time I gave up on eggs and tried to get chicks the season for chicks is over already.

Yeah I raise birds for sell. It's my second job and a nice bit of income.

Okay I asked a goose expert and this is her advice:

SLow roast the goose and look for a recipe from the Victorian Era for the best way to cook one. Embden geese are the best for eating since they plump out well and have good size breast meat. The meat is dark and beefy. They are greasy but this helps crisp the skin out very nicely. Look for a bird between 24-26 weeks old and little bit older for an even better size.