Cooking with less meat ideas? (to save money)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yum yum, Nuggets!!

I made a good pasta salad tonight. (The tuna casserole was great, btw)

Me and the teenager are the only ones who eat the pasta salad cause it's got tomatoes in it. Little bugger doesn't like them and they upset hubby's tumtum. But here's how it goes and it was fab! I will probably take some to work for lunch tomorrow. (sorry I didn't measure anything)

Cooked up a batch of elbow macaroni. Rinsed & drained.

Added two fresh tomatoes (diced)
A couple tablespoons of chopped dill pickles
I didn't have as many pickles as I would normally use, so I added
A couple of splashes of red wine vinegar. Then,
A couple tablespoons of fresh parsley (from the garden, w00t!)
A sprinkling of dried onions, and probably a quarter to half a cup of crumbled bacon.
Spoon in a couple of big dollops of mayonnaise and stir it to see if it needs more. All the ingredients should be coated.
Salt & pepper to taste.

Cassandra

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This recipe only uses 1 pound of hamburg and makes a large pot of soup. This is one of my husbands favorite soup recipes.

Taco Soup

1 lb hamburg
2 cans beef broth
2 cans kidney or black beans (do not drain)
1 can kernel corn (do not drain)
1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 can tomato sauce
1 or 2 packets taco seasoning (we like 2 but the actual recipe calls for 1)

Brown the meat and place in soup pot or crock pot. dump in all the canned ingredients without draining. Add 1 packet of taco seasoning and stir. Cook on stove for 1/2 hour or in the crock pot on high for 2 1/2 hours. Taste half way through the cooking and add part or all of the other taco season packet if needed. Serve with Fritos corn chips or tortilla chips.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
one time I was making lasagne and realized i didnt have the meat, I made it without and no one even mentioned it, Ive been making it that way ever since.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
one time I was making lasagne and realized i didnt have the meat, I made it without and no one even mentioned it, Ive been making it that way ever since.
And it is really good that way. Also in mine I have added either Broccoli or Zucchini and it is so good. Yummy! makes me want one.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Acre of Blessings said:
Sometimes I make a stir fry and all I add for the meat is a few cut up hot dog weiners and the family loves it.
Ha, one of my favorite dishes over all the years I was single was Hotdog And Sweet Pickle Lo Mein :p (Honest, it's GOOD). I've never tried it on my husband since he loathes both hotdogs and sweet pickles.

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Acre of Blessings said:
Sometimes I make a stir fry and all I add for the meat is a few cut up hot dog weiners and the family loves it.
Ha, one of my favorite dishes over all the years I was single was Hotdog And Sweet Pickle Lo Mein :p (Honest, it's GOOD). I've never tried it on my husband since he loathes both hotdogs and sweet pickles.

Pat
Where's that barf face smilie?? Insert it here---->_______

lol, Don't think I will be trying that one any time soon :D

Latest posts