Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
corn cob syrup

Yield 1 Batch

Ingredients

1 peck raw Corn cobs

Water

Sugar

Take a peck of nice, clean corn cobs after the corn has been cut off of the cob.

Put cobs in a large kettle of water, enough to cover cobs.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 hours, then strain off juice.

Make a syrup of brown sugar for dark syrup or white sugar for light syrup. Mix 1 part sugar to 2 parts juice.

Cook slowly until it becomes slightly thick.

Bottle tightly.

SOURCE: Grandma Anna Hoffman Notes: You can add butter flavoring, maple flavor, blackwalnut, ect., or just leave it plain.

My notes,:

I did 5 dozen cobs to put the corn in the freezer, so I did n=mine in two batches (as much as my stock pot could hold--Just cover as many cobs as you have with water) I boiled it for two hours, then measured the liquid--I had 20 cups of liquid, so I added 10 cups of sugar and one tablespoon vanilla. I reduced it for several hours until it was a syrup consistency. A little stronger than a simmer, and stirred frequently.

Doing it again, I would have the canner ready, so I could water bath it right away. I processed for 10 minutes. I don't know if I had to, but just to be safe, considering I had so much that it would get used quickly.

We had pancakes the other day, and my kids and hubby loved it. So, one more way to get HFCS out of our house. Yay!

(Side note: Actually, our pancake syrup was the only thing in our house that has it in it--other than the granola bars that hubby just bought, which I told him if he wanted granola bars I would make them for him.)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss thenorth--How would you rate the flavor on a scale of 1-10? We have gobs and gobs of cobs right now. I am planning to cut off more tomorrow to freeze some creamy corn, and I am thinking of trying your recipe with the cobs left over. I don't want to seem rude, but would you consider this one worth the time? Is it excellent or just kind of neat since it uses up "scraps?"

Thanks,

me&thegals--so busy with garden and processing food that I'd love a super-honest asssessment on whether I should try this one ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have been trying to describe the flavour, and it is difficult, other than it tastes like corn syrup, but a bit sweeter. Its flavour is unique. My husband and children prefer it to maple syrup,(strange that they don't like maple syrup, but...). I asked them-- If this and storebought syrup were on the table, which one would you reach for? They said the cob syrup.

I am going to try a simple syrup recipe sans cobs and see if they like that as well. If they do, then maybe boiling the cobs is just a waste of time., and a neat experience of using scraps.

I'm sorry that I don't know what to tell you. maybe do a small batch with just a few cobs? Me personally, I've had plain sugar water syrups before, and I definitely like this better, and I definitely like it better than storebought.

Does that help?

me&thegals

Reaction score
That really helps--thank you! I didn't know how to put it without being rude about something that has been really fun and rewarding for you. But, you know how it goes with time and messes this time of year :) I'm going to try it and I will let you know what my family thinks!

Thanks again,

me&thegals

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is this kind of like Karo Syrup. Just wondering..

Oh and how much is a peck of corn cobs.. I know stupid question huh.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Great questions, Sunny! I need them both answered, too :) MTN, I'd like to make caramel corn for my FIL for his b-day this week--think I could use this instead of the Karo?

I'd also like to know what a peck is. Guess I'll go Google it :)

me&thegals

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
OK, I just finished making a batch, so I can contribute a review :)

I used 2 dozen corncobs and about 3.5 c sugar, boiled down to an end result of not quite 3 cups of syrup.

It is definitely a lot more flavorful than Karo or other corn syrup. I had a bottle of golden corn syrup in the cabinet from making something-or-other last christmas, so just now I did the taste comparison -- the homemade is an identical color to the bottled stuff, but has a MUCH MUCH BETTER taste, much 'rounder' and I would have to say butterier and more carmelly and with none of the odd chemical type aftertaste of the bottled stuff.

I still do not really understand what or how, specifically, the corn is contributing; but I have to say the result is pretty tasty :D The kids liked it a lot too (Harry sez, "I love it so much, it makes me run backwards!" although of course he says that sort of thing a lot <g>). My husband was neutral on it, but he doesn't much care for sweet things that are not either a) chocolate or b) his particular storeboughten brand of marmalade, and he isn't really into homemade foods either, sigh, so I am not sure how heavily his opinion should be weighted.

I suppose it would be good on pancakes but what I really want is to make some popcorn and mix it in real good to make sort of candy-corn :p

I don't know how often I will make it again (probably *sometime*), but I am very glad that I made it this time, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH miss_thenorth for the recipe! Pretty cool :)

Pat

me&thegals

Reaction score
Thanks for that most excellent contribution, Pat! Your husband sounds like mine. He would love nothing more than Wonderbread and boxed stuffing. Every once in a while, though, he says something that makes me realize he actually enjoys the way we eat, at least a little bit :)

Okay--I have cobs on the counter after last night's creamy corn processing. I'm going to go for it! I have not bought pancake syrup for years now. The kids eventually got used to maple syrup and fruit sauces, but this would be fun. Plus, I need to get something for the batch of caramel corn I need to make before Friday!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wow, Pat--great description! I don't even know what Karo syrup is, so I can't compare to that, and I haven't had corn syrup in the house for many years, so my recollection of that is vague. I just know I like it, the kids like it, hubby likes it so we're good here.

I'm happy that I (we) now have something that we can use instead of commercial syrup that has HFCS in it. :)