Corn in the freezer

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have so much corn frozen it is insane...LOL

I can't wait til dead of winter and bring out those ears of corn and crunch away. Nothing like corn on the cob in the dead of winter on the grill.

now I remember why I do all this work..HA HA

what do you love eating in the dead of winter that you canned or froze?

Corn on the cob is my favorite! each and every time!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You mean I have to pick a favorite thing. Ummmmm. Then I guess I am with you. Corn on the Cob.

Do you freeze any of yours in the husk for grilling?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No I never froze any in the husk.
I just go directly on the grill or sometimes if I add a slice of bacon and butter I wrap in tinfoil. We like super crunchy corn here.

darn, have to try that next year...freeze the whole husk.

I guess you would peel away most and check for that ever present might be WORM and then freeze?

Have you done that???

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
We usually freeze 20 or so ears with the husk on. Just drop the whole thing in the freezer. Don't even bother to bag them. I have a plastic milk crate in my freezer for that. Before we freeze we pull the husk back and clean with a brush then pull the husk back up.
When we get ready to throw on the grill we just pull it out of the freezer, thaw it out in water (to soak the husk really well before throwing it on the grill, but be sure to drain well). You can melt butter and put what ever seasoning you want in the melted butter, pour it down the inside of the husk and cook. Your corn will not be that moist steamy way it is when cooked in tin foil. Maybe a little more crispy is the best way I can explain it. Next year when you harvest. Try doing a few ears fresh before you throw any in the freezer to see if you like it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I absolutely will be doing this! thank you!

In fact, I am tempted to go to the store and buy some in the husk---just to freeze a few and try it....LOL-LOL

thanks 2dream
I learned on this thread already! :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
In fact, I am tempted to go to the store and buy some in the husk---just to freeze a few and try it....LOL-LOL
When we run out - it is off to the store we go. DH likes his corn this way much better than I do. Actually we have to compromise. I like mine like you do- wrapped in tin foil and cooked. He likes his in the husk. Sometimes we do both and sometimes we alternate.

Its just so easy to freeze in the husk. Very little work involved.
As a side note - after you thaw you can cut it off the cob and cook too. It still taste fresh.

I don't expect a response. I see you grabbing those keys and heading to the car to race to the store and grab some ears of corn. LOL