Corn-y questions, help please......

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone ever frozen corn still on the cob? If so, do you leave it in the husk or no? If not, do you pre-boil or?

Yesterday I found a great deal on some fresh corn (4 for $1) These are huge, looked great & I planned on canning some, freezing some & of course eating some. I bought 24 ears to get me started & we had some last night for dinner......AWESOME! :drool Today my work begins as I process the rest & maybe get some more before the season is out. I was curious about your process for frozen on the cob. Any help right now would be greatly appreciated........Thanks!

ETA: Forgot to include other questions. I don't have any cows at the moment nor in the near future, but I'd like to know about feeding the corn stocks, ground cobs & husks to cows. I know cows aren't supposed to eat much corn, but what about corn by-products? I don't mean as the whole of their diet, but more of like a side dish to hay, grass, etc? Whatcha think?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, I have. Leave in the husks, wrap tightly with newspaper, and stick it in the freezer. I had great success with that method (disclaimer though: it was only in the freezer a 3-4 months).

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks JR, just what I was looking for. And I somehow doubt it would last that long in the freezer since it was soooo good. I'll be lucky if it lasts until Christmas before it's eaten :lol:

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I husk and clean them, blanche them, let them dry and freeze. To cook, just boil until done. They're great!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Windyhillfarms said:
I husk and clean them, blanche them, let them dry and freeze. To cook, just boil until done. They're great!
Yep, that's how I do it too.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cut the kernels off, to save on space. I've tried steaming first, then freezing, but the quality is the same when I cut, then freeze.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ended up canning it all, getting 14 pints & the chickens got the cobs to clean up for a treat. I had corn kernals, silk & milk juice EVERYWHERE! What a mess...but that's another thread :D

I hope to get back over to that fruit stand to get some more corn before the season is over so I can get some in the freezer too. Thanks to all for the ideas. :thumbsup

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
A couple years ago we had 12 dozen ears of sweet corn from one harvest. Some we ate after harvest. Some we blanched and froze as half cobs. We removed the kernels from a couple dozen ears and oven-dried some and filled the dehydrator with the rest. The dried corn went into jars in the pantry. The chicken flock also got some of the harvest as we were processing it, and some of the corn in the middle of winter as a treat.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I always freeze corn on the cob in the shuck. I trim ends and remove a few of the outer shucks then put it in a freezer bag. It lasts just as long as shucked and blanched for me. I leave mine in the shuck and microwave it but you can also roast or grill it. It tastes closer to summer fresh than any other method.

Also if you want to cut it off the cob and like creamed style, don't waste money on a fancy corn cutter. Use a good grade potato peeler preferably with a comfortable handle.

Enjoy your corn.