Coroplast (plastic cardboard signs)

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It has been colder than usual in SC. I'm starting to pack insulation for my bantam chicken coop. For interior walls I'm using Coroplast signs. Many of the local convenience stores (campaign signs too) throw them away. I rub a bead of silicone caulking around the pieces and paint. Works very well as it is waterproof and can be washed or just sprayed with a hose. Replacement pieces are free.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's a great idea. I use old signs all the time for purse innards, instant storage containers (just use duck tape), container lids, etc...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am guessing that you are talking about those signs that are on that plastic stuff that looks just like corrogated cardboard....Where do I get some? Convenience stores....don't they use posters or banners? or are you talking about the ones that are on some kind of heavy wire frame that they stick in the ground on the front lawn?

I so rarely go into any store, I can't picture where they would be, other than those campaign signs, but that season is over now. Gotta get me some.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah they look like corrugated cardboard. There are a few large campaign signs still around. I'm going to ask the owners if I can have them. I like it because it is waterproof and I only have to pull out a razor and a yardstick to trim to the size I need as I do so hate pulling out a tablesaw. :rolleyes:

I mean gas stations. I asked the lady that operates one nearby and she gave me a stack of her old advertising signs and told me to come back every so often and she would keep me supplied.

Just use your imagination with it. It is just like cardboard but, doesn't sag and go out of shape when wet.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I want some. too. They use those campaign signs that are pretty much a plastic bag over a wire frame around here, so those are out. I've seen the corrugated ones somewhere but can't place them. I will be looking now. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Talk to your county...there is usually a department that deals with sign codes. They often pick them up from areas where they have been put illegally.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good idea wifezilla!!

Good idea using them for insulation!!

We use them when we go target shooting. They hold up well with most of our guns. They are lighter and smaller than when we have to use wood.
After elections DH just grabs them off the side of the road, why wait weeks for someone else to do it?

Some realators use the also. I don't know about where anyone else lives, but here it seems that most realators don't take down their signs after sales or the house gets taken off the market. If we see ones that are left for a few weeks after a sale, DH grabs it.

Monica