coup prep for freezing weather

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
had some time today and there's some weather comin. put about 2 feet of hay in the coup and cleaned out the next boxes.

WHAT do you guys do for cold weather?

20210109_130905.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was ran over by a pen of silkies today. They staged a rebellion because they haven't been out in well over a month because of snow, rain, and mud. Ran right over my feet as soon as I opened the pen to water them.

Our temps have been moderate. The olive eggers I got back in August are starting to lay. Some of them are very big pullets and are giving large eggs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Trying2keepitReal last February 2021, we had 10 days of freak record breaking winter storm in Texas. In my area, it got to MINUS SIX degrees! The only thing I did different for my chickens was to give them a fresh water jug twice a day, full of hot water. The frozen one went in the bathtub to thaw out. They also got treats of fat and BOSS. My coop only had one solid side. The sides had 1 foot of wire at the bottom and the front was wire. No heat lamp. Chickens were fine. Ever hear that old saying, “Tough ol’ bird!”

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks comfy! I don't even have a chicken coop - per se. We don't get much in the way of big temp extremes here so I really don't do much. I have two groups of chickens and two barns. They stay in their respective barns. The big barn out back has a whole lot of bodies to help keep it warm. The chickens roost on a dividing fence right in the middle. They have the choice of bedding down in the hay - but they don't. The same goes for the other group.

Some years back I had some chickens that were determined to roost outside on the fence. I couldn't tell you how many times I'd go out in the dark on a particularly cold night and pluck chickens off the fence and toss 'em in the barn. They weren't blessed with a very big brain, lol.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
are they all the same shade of color or all slightly different?

The birds are that wild type partridge color. 2 are darker and bigger and the other 2 are lighter color and the same size as the easter eggers.

So far the eggs from the 2 laying have been light olive. I've had darker from regular easter eggers. Actually the 11 year old hen lays a darker one and is coming up on the time of year where she shows them how eggs are supposed to look.

I won't waste money at the feed store for olive egger chicks again. I know someone who has a good ameraucana rooster with her black copper marans hens. I'll see about getting some eggs.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies have little dog houses or coops that size since they pile sleep. I give them fresh shavings for cold weather. Fresh hay in the covered runs. I wrapped the silkie pens with greenhouse tarps this year. The water has only froze once and not bad enough to that the silkies hadn't pecked holes through long before I was out there.

The large fowl run is too wide to roof. I'm concidering narrowing it. Fresh straw there. Fresh shavings for inside the 8x16 coop. I don't close the door unless it's staying in the teens during the day. Inside doesnt fair quite as well as the silkie pens have this year but the birds are happy.

Mud is more an issue here. Especially with birds that like to get wet like the silkies do. Lowest temp we've had in my years here is 9°F.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was ran over by a pen of silkies today. They staged a rebellion because they haven't been out in well over a month because of snow, rain, and mud. Ran right over my feet as soon as I opened the pen to water them.

haha! :)

Our temps have been moderate. The olive eggers I got back in August are starting to lay. Some of them are very big pullets and are giving large eggs.

are they all the same shade of color or all slightly different?