Cow folk, just curious about this "rescue"

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://action.farmsanctuary.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=16943.1&printer_friendly=1

Looking at it, IMO (albeit cow uneducated), it looks like they're all actually in good condition. I see bright eyes and clean, solid bodies. It mentions "They were unable to get food or water, unable to move or walk. The calves are all newborns, some born just days ago." Am I wrong in thinking that food and water is a silly thing to give them access to at a few days? Shouldn't they be drinking milk only, no feeds or anything? In my opinion, it looks like a back yard dairy farmer just tied up the bull calves for veal. Sure, the one tether looks like it's a bit short, but, I know that they're not supposed to move around much for veal, and I'm not sure how much room they really should have (looks like it can lay down DIRECTLY under where it's tethered, or move maybe a few feet if standing).
To me, this sounds like the type of "rescue" that preys on uneducated city slickers and poor famers who cannot afford attorneys.
Anyways, someone who's more educated on cows, I'd like to know your input.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My first take, not knowing anything about farm sanctuary, is it is just a money grab. Feel sorry for these poor calves and give us yer money. that's what i got from it.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
"But, they are not trash. They are helpless babies, torn from their mothers upon birth. Through no fault of their own, they were born into a cruel industry that disregards their lives. They are at our mercy and utterly dependent on people to care for them. "

:lol: :gig How dramatic! If those are abused calves, they should have seen the cow Bee rescued. :lol:

Your right Betta, they should be on milk only, at that age. Speaking of which, I'd love to take one of those and try to make my own rennet. :p

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Humane Societies in our area have been very busy with true neglect/abuse cases lately. The only thing I can say is that the SPCA groups in our area only take in farm animals that are really being neglected. Since it was an SPCA involved, there might be a good chance that the calves were honestly being neglected. Really hard to tell the shape they are in with their coloring.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
a while ago some of these yayhoos showed up to 'rescue' some wethers from my buddy's prize winning goat herd. they showed up to save that poor little goat from his life a pain and sorrow.

um. my buddy's barn is nicer than some people's houses, his herd gets incredible care...and he said 'rescue him from WHAT?' and then threw them off his property.

i'm going with nut jobs grabbing money. as i understand it, feeder calves arent supposed to have a bucket of water. none of the cow folks i know have heat in their barns....and more than likely they were on the way to auction where i'd be very happy to pay $2 (like Quail) go get me some veal to raise.

the whole farm sanctuary thing hacks me off.. there are hungry people in our community -- and all those 'resuced' farm animals should be fattened up, butchered, and served at the local food bank.

i'm headed out to make sure the gate is closed lest some of them yayhoos show up and start taking pictures of me in here making stock from those ducks we dressed the other day.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Those "day old calves" were put on this earth to EAT and no, they are NOT helpless. Obviously the person who wrote that has never seen a new calf skipping around - or been kicked by a new calf due to standing too close to a new calf kicking up its heels (doesn't feel good!)

We don't introduce water or calf starter until they are 2 weeks of age. We try to have them weaned off the bottles by 4-6 weeks of age, as long as they are eating calf starter, hay, and drinking from their water bucket with no problems.

I guess the Bible is the Ultimate Guide to Animal Cruelty?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Humane Societies in our area have been very busy with true neglect/abuse cases lately. The only thing I can say is that the SPCA groups in our area only take in farm animals that are really being neglected. Since it was an SPCA involved, there might be a good chance that the calves were honestly being neglected. Really hard to tell the shape they are in with their coloring.
I really didn't pay attention to the location of this "rescue", but I know that not all SPCA's are innocent trying to protect the innocent. The one here had a guy running it who was euthing healthy animals and keeping sickly, MEAN animals (I know, I was bitten by one, and they then said, "oh yeah, that one's mean, it bites", while it was in the display and play room, no less). He was also known for being a "homewrecker", in that he would confiscate people's animals (seems it was mostly horses) and they'd end up coming back to the people sick (or dead in some cases) after long, tedious battles in court.

and all those 'resuced' farm animals should be fattened up, butchered, and served at the local food bank.
You know, that's actually pretty brilliant. Saves long-term resources at the "rescue" and gives some excellent nutrition to people who need it.

Also wanted to ask, are the dairy bull calves really that cheap at auctions? I only caught a few of the small cattle that were a few hundred pounds already. Heck, if it's that cheap, I might have to check into it. Veal would be worth a backlash from the boyfriend and having to go all covert operation to keep it from the town officials, lol.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep ask QA... also known and the Queen of the Auction.. she just got a couple calves for $2 or $3...and our neighbors got a BEEF calf for $9 last fall. can you imagine?

we're waiting to get our other goat back and see if we can find us and el cheapo beefo for some easy veal.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That was absolutely a bunch of bull. Those calves looked healthy as any. And only a few days old? A calf in a pasture wouldn't have had hay to lay in or a dry barn to get under. The first time I saw a newborn calf I thought it was gonna die since it was all skinny, before I found out they are all born that way. No telling what they would think of a milking Jersey! They are always skinny looking.