Cow Manure??

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Normally I bring in composted horse manure for my garden. That's what I have access to and its free so I amend it a bit and I am good to go.

Dh works about 1 1/2 form home and they have huge piles of cow manure free for the taking. He asked if I wanted some. I said sure bring a bit home and I will check it out. So on Mon he pulls up with a half full truck bed. The only problem is the stuff still smells like ammonia, it looks composted but is still steamy.

What the norm on cow poop. Do you mix in just a tad and use it smelly or does it sound as if this pile needs to sit for a while yet. Which does not thrill me. I really don't need a huge pile of stinky cow poo fifty feet from my front door.

Any advice welcome. It looks broken down but like I said is just seems HOT.

gina

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
JMO, but if it still smells ike ammonia, i would believe it to be still hot. It should look and smell like black earth when it is aged properly. Generally, cow manure is preferred , but I would age this stuff some more before you used it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeap, if it's hot and smelly it isn't done yet and I wouldn't put it directly on the garden (not for most plants anyhow).

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, I kinda figured it was not aged enough. I am not sure what type of facility it comes from. Up in the Chino , Ca area they have a ton of cows. I highly doubt if they are Certified anything.

I guess I will just leave it where it is.

:barnie

gina

Latest posts