Cowboy beans- great recipe!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made this for dinner tonight, it is a huge huge hit! It's from myblessedhome.blogspot.com Not my blog, but I got the link from a kombucha thread, and checked out a few of her other recipes.

INGREDIENTS

3 cups of dried pinto beans

1 onion, diced

1 bell pepper (any color) diced

2 tablespoons of red pepper hot sauce

2 tablespoons of chili powder

2 teaspoons of sea salt

1 teaspoon of spicy brown mustard

1 teaspoon of ground black pepper

1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes (the cilantro and lime flavor works well with this recipe)

1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar

Water

HOW TO PREPARE THIS DISH

1. The night before: Sort the pinto beans and put them into a large crock pot. Pour in a splash of apple cider vinegar, and then pour in water. Put in enough water to cover the beans over by one inch.

2. Cover the crock pot, leave it off, and leave it alone until you wake up the next morning.

3. The next morning: Drain the soaked pinto beans, rinse them, and then add fresh water. Again, the water should cover about an inch over the top of the pintos. Add in the diced onion and bell pepper, cover the crock pot, and set it to cook on "low."

4. About two hours before supper time: Mix in the hot sauce, chili powder, salt, mustard, black pepper, Rotel, and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and let the mixture continue to cook (covered) on low until supper time.