CPAP machine Leasson learned for camping and loss of power.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
about 8 years ago i started doing research on how to power my cpap machine without the grid being up and maintaining it so the following are some options for power / cleaning / water.

Power: Marine Battery with 400W inverter
For quite some time i used a marine battery with a 400W continuous Inverter 800W peak. it worked well with the humidifier turned off and would last about 5 days .the problem became charging the battery the easiest way was to hook it to a running car and charge it that way but it burns a lot of gas or diesel to do that. another option was to use a fence charger and trickle charge it every day but i would still have to move a heavy battery.

Power: Lithium Ion battery pack and RV adapter (without humidifier)
with the technology of lithium ion batteries getting cheaper i found a smallish battery pack (43,000Mah) that i could use a RV adapter (12vdc auto plug) it runs the machine on my settings perfectly without humidifier for 4 days @ 8ish hours of sleep. i liked it so much its now my go to setup for backup battery and i can go camping again. it can be charged from the car or motorcycle or from a solar battery bank. the following is a video i made about it.

Cleaning: hot water and anti bacterial soap works!
but so does Sex toy cleaner and it comes as wipes and sprays used with a hand towel works great! before it gets too crazy let me explain. its hypoallergenic and antimicrobial and easy to pack in an overnight bag. plus if you don't have to carry your stuff to a sink or find hot water in off grid areas. and most ppl do not buy it when paper products are flying off the shelf along with baby wipes.

Cleaning the tank and hoses: denture tablets just fill with water, add tablet and soak for 15mins. then rub the inside with a toothbrush or wash cloth. then rinse. easy this works great when you can't find distilled water.

Water for the humidifier:
Distilled water is costly to buy over time and labor intensive to make. and some folks will just buy it to drink because they like to have sad tummies. i don't never have.
Filtered water from my home filters or a pitcher filter and just empty daily and clean weekly with denture tablets. if you have hardwater you may need to denture tablet 2x a week.

Latest posts