CRAPTASTIC PALLET COOKOFF

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i cleaned up a big mess of rotting/rotten pallets here a few years back. glad to have that done. they were free for us to get and they worked for a while, but as they rotted we'd just put more on top of them. they were over a ditch that ran from up here to the larger back drain/ditch so the house had a place for the sump pump to drain. they dug it out and put black plastic along it and then filled it along the sides with the crushed rinsed limestone and put the pallets over it.

not safe as the pallets rotted and then fell inwards and if you weren't careful walking across sometimes you'd fall through. it was also an animal highway from the ditch into the yard so i had to constantly plug the end and hunt any animals that thought it was a good spot to set up a home. rabbits and groundhogs and chipmunks always a hassle.

once i got them all cleaned out i had to deal with the leftovers of 130 pallets in various forms of decay. what i could use as garden humus was ok. the rusty nails were always a hazard and i pulled as many as i could.

it coincided with another large garden project so more complicated than a simple project, but hey, it was fun while it lasted... :)

before ish:

p4090006_Next_Proj_Long_View_thm.jpg

after ish:

DSC_20200912_143453-0400_630_Pallets_Be_Gone_thm.jpg

more pictures/details at:

if i stick around longer term i'm moving that pathway over to reclaim more garden space...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you stay longer it may be less work to reclaim a portion of that back field area behind it. That's a lotta rock!! 😁

behind it is a large drainage ditch so that back area on the other side is not easily accessible. it's like wasted space as far as i'm concerned. at one time i was thinking i would get some cider apple trees growing back there but they'd need fencing to protect them from the deer. no time to get back there very often. brush hog it once in a while.

as for moving the gravel path over, that would be very easy and could be done in a week - especially since there's a place there already where the gravel can go to fill it in (the low spot that now contains pea gravel).

reclaiming garden space from the sod area out back will take several weeks minimum and i may not get it all done. no idea what the spring and early summer weather is going to be like. once we get too busy projects get put on hold until the fall or the next year. i need to get the front driveway edges done before i do anything else.

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want free pallets
where do go I, Yoda
Try a local construction company. I know my FH employer gets stuff on pallets all the time and they eventually get so many pallets that in order to discard them without actually taking them to a dump (landfill) they allow people to haul them away.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Try a local construction company. I know my FH employer gets stuff on pallets all the time and they eventually get so many pallets that in order to discard them without actually taking them to a dump (landfill) they allow people to haul them away.

Well, I have plenty of downed and standing dead poles that ate 2X3 to 4X4 that I an make a pallet with, probable hahah faster that calling/driving to find some, we live to far out,,,

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i cleaned up a big mess of rotting/rotten pallets here a few years back. glad to have that done. they were free for us to get and they worked for a while, but as they rotted we'd just put more on top of them. they were over a ditch that ran from up here to the larger back drain/ditch so the house had a place for the sump pump to drain. they dug it out and put black plastic along it and then filled it along the sides with the crushed rinsed limestone and put the pallets over it.

not safe as the pallets rotted and then fell inwards and if you weren't careful walking across sometimes you'd fall through. it was also an animal highway from the ditch into the yard so i had to constantly plug the end and hunt any animals that thought it was a good spot to set up a home. rabbits and groundhogs and chipmunks always a hassle.

once i got them all cleaned out i had to deal with the leftovers of 130 pallets in various forms of decay. what i could use as garden humus was ok. the rusty nails were always a hazard and i pulled as many as i could.

it coincided with another large garden project so more complicated than a simple project, but hey, it was fun while it lasted... :)

before ish:

p4090006_Next_Proj_Long_View_thm.jpg

after ish:

DSC_20200912_143453-0400_630_Pallets_Be_Gone_thm.jpg

more pictures/details at:

if i stick around longer term i'm moving that pathway over to reclaim more garden space...

Looks Wonderful!! you have done so much work !!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks Wonderful!! you have done so much work !!

thank you! sometimes i think my only purpose here is to go around and clean up messes that others have made (looks at Mom :) - ex-step-dad is long gone and now deceased so...). it's ok. i went to her this morning after getting up and turning up the heat, got the hot water in the faucets ready for her to get out of bed. so i kissed her on the head and said i love you. she asked me if i was ok... lol